How much does my engine weigh?

premiertreecare

Recruit
I have a 17ft 1987 Procraft Bass boat with a 1987 100 hp Mercury. I was curious if anyone out there might know the weight of this engine and /or if I might be able to put a larger hp motor on the boat. I know it has a hp rating but, engines have changed alot since 1987. I was hoping to get more hp by upgrading to a newer model engine that might be of comprable weight. Or even an older model of a different manufacturer. It would seem that if it was very close in the same weight it would be ok to do so.

Plainsman

Rear Admiral
Re: How much does my engine weigh?

Welcome to iboats!!

That rating is there for a reason, I'd adhere to it.

You can go to nada.com to find the weight of the engine.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I'll put this overpower issue in another light. If you have an accident, however minor, and especially if someone is hurt, someone else will own all your stuff. Overpowering a boat is illegal and for all you know there are 50 lawyers monitoring this thread. Your insurance agent will also be less than thrilled with you and the company will likely deny your claim.

diaric

Chief Petty Officer

the horsepower rating is based on the power the transom is rated to hold and not break free. it wasn't based on engine weight that it can hold or not upset the loading of the boat

ps. welcome to iboats, sorry you took a licking on your 1st post

Thank you Plainsman.I looked and looked all over for the weight of my '69 650E in anticipation of lifting it off of the transom so I could replace it and whatever else needs replacing and I could not find anything.
I even looked in my old brochures as they used to publish the weight of their engines in them back in the day and the best I could come up with was the weight of an 850 which ought to be very close to what I have.I have the FSM and it doesn't say in there anyplace that I could find.
Now I know where to look.:p
I built an engine stand that would hold two engines so I could tranfer the power trim from one engine that I bought cheap to my known good engine,strung a chain between two trees and lifted it off with one hand.:D
Oh,and a ratchet com-a-long.:rolleyes:
I will send a couple pics of it.Thanks again for the heads up.Ron G

Attachments

• MVC-001F.JPG
    MVC-001F.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 0
  • MVC-011F.JPG
    MVC-011F.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 0
  • MVC-013F.JPG
    MVC-013F.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 0