• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

76 Mercury Wiring Diagram

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 76 Mercury Wiring Diagram

I am in desperate need of a 76 Mercury 85hp (or 850) 4 cylinder outboard wiring diagram. The engine harness fryed and I can't tell what wire goes where or even what color they are. I just bought a new harness and there are just a few of the wirings that I don't know where they go. I have the soleniod and electric choke wires figured out. The serial number 4232325. Thanks.

Re: 76 Mercury Wiring Diagram

OK, That motor is distributorless, so orange is the killer wire that attaches to the switch boxes and mercury switch. White is not used(for distributor motors), red goes to the switchboxes, small black wire is the ground on the starter solenid. Grey is choke solenoid, brown is tach signal and yellow/red is stator for battery charging.

Comment

This motor has a distributor.
      The new harness I purchased has a color coded instruction sheet included in the box. All the original wiring insulation is burnt off or has changed color because of the heat that even with the color coded instructions I still don't know exactly where the wire goes. I have figured out the solenoid wiring and the electric choke but the wires that go to the ignition box or whatever you call it has got me at a loss. I see that the terminals on the box are different colors (red terminal, white terminal, brown and so on). What I need to know is which wire went on which colored terminal on the box. Sorry for the confusion, I'm new to boat engines and I hate wiring. Thanks so far.

Comment

Rest in Peace Spinner

2010 Lowe FM 175 with a 2010 115 Mercury
        ------------------------------------------------
        Your friend,your partner, your defender,your dog.You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion....by E.F. Henry

Comment

Thanks Plainsman! That should do it. Thanks a bunch!

Comment

The wiring diagram provided is for the distributorless ADI Ignition. I hope it works for you.

Comment

For what it's worthClick image for larger version

Name:	8fe2303ba6fbad9b6a150480d03c0a84.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	4106

Click image for larger version

Name:	a6eef052bfc96e06c8248dde251584eb.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	4107. 850 wiring pics.

Comment

1975 has a distributor, according to your serial number it's a 1975, not a 1976.

Rest in Peace Spinner

2010 Lowe FM 175 with a 2010 115 Mercury
                ------------------------------------------------
                Your friend,your partner, your defender,your dog.You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion....by E.F. Henry

Comment

OK, so you have a distributor. Yellow-red wires run from the stator terminal block to the AC poles on the rectifier. One of these AC terminals connects to the brown wire to provide a signal to the tach. yellow is the starter solenoid primary +12V terminal, grey is the choke solenoiod, orange is unused, thick black is grounded to the bottom cowl, thin black is ground on starter solenoid primary-12V terminal, thick red is +12V on the starter solenoid secondary. Thin red goes to the red terminal on the switchbox, thin white goes on the white terminal of the switchbox (the red and white terminals are on the same side(starboard) of the switchbox). The +12V side of the rectifier gets a red wire which connects to the other red wire. The -12V pole on the rectifier (if rectifier is aftermarket) is grounded to the case.

Comment

oops
                    "Many of the greatest sailors were pukers."--Thorfinn Skullsplitter

Comment

Working...
                    X