Mariner 40HP ignition switch which wires?

Gr8Jpn

Cadet
Well I am pretty mechanically inclined.. but I have no idea what the heck I have got..

1986 Mariner 40HP EL ID NO 422195 2 Cyl.

I have a 7 pin wiring harness.
I think I have a Yamaha made outboard.. but I dunno.

I have the same problem as a lot of the threads, need help wiring my new ignition switch.

Need to replace the ignition switch.. (the guy before has forced the key in upside down so many times that I have to fiddle around and get the key in just the right way.. in the right spot otherwise no dice)

The old switch has 6 posts.. and the standard letters that are all over advice in this Forum: B, M, A, M, C, S

The new switch is Quicksilver part # 54211T, and only has 5 posts.. and different letters.
Specifically: B, E, A, D, F

I thought the Marine part store had sold me the wrong switch.. but scanning the web I see that this is the Quicksilver replacement without the push to choke option.. (I guess I could always add a toggle for the choke if I wanted)

I am at a loss as to which wire goes where.. any help? PLEASE?

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Mariner 40HP ignition switch which wires?

You have the wrong switch. You need the 2 M connections to turn the motor off. I suspect that the one you have is for an I/O

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

yep, return the switch.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You need the push-to-choke style switch. Without it you have no way of choking a cold engine.

Gr8Jpn

Cadet

Hey thanks for your help!

Per the Mercury Express parts website the 5 lug was the correct switch.. The original was discontinued... and with a simple Ohms test I figured out what the lugs were for and how I could have made it work..

But I just did not want to then hard wire a choke and all that jazz..

So I found a 6 lug - push to choke generic model at a local Boaters World for $16.99 (The Mercury 5 lug was $34.95)

So I saved time and MONEY by getting a correct switch.

Thanks for the help!

jonrandall24

Recruit
what switch did you go with? I have to buy a new switch but I am kinda scared of getting the wrong one. I have the same motor as you. Thank you.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Who are you asking? This topic is over 7 years old and the topic starter has not visited in over 4 years. That's why we ask that you start a new topics with questions instead of tagging on to old topics. Thanks.