New Mercury 1150 on Laser boat

jmeasley99

Recruit
Hi...
I am purchasing an older model Laser Boat with a Merc 1150 on it. It has been in the shop recently and runs GREAT! It has a small oil leak in the tilt-lift at the right hydrolic.
Is there anything I need to take into consideration before or as I buy with this 1150? We are trying to get it back to the shop.
Thanks so much for your time & input!
Marc

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: New Mercury 1150 on Laser boat

Legendary power, but 2.5 MPG at WOT using premium fuel. also be aware of revised recommended timing specs.
See "Timing and sync of Merc inlines (to 1988)" post by Clams for virtually all you need to know.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Marc, If you have the PTT unit with the external pump and the two trim cylinders outboard of the clamp bracket, and if the oil leak is around the trim rod, you can get a replacement o ring to fix the leak. That particular application shares the same o-ring (3/4") with the driveshaft oring of a Mercruiser Alpha 1 gen 1 drive. They come in the standard impeller repair kit. Full trim cylinder repair kits used to be available from merc, as well. I do not know if they still are avail.

jmeasley99

Recruit

Thanks for the help...I am having small prob now..

we ran for 30 min and 115 cut out and died

could prime the fuel line bulb and get going but loose again after 30 secs...

I posted a thread on the entire prob
think it may be the fuel line..??

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

If you can keep the motor running by pumping the primer bulb, it is likely a bad fuel pump. These may be easily and cheaply rebuilt.

gregtobin

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You could also check the condition of the gas line before switching out the fuel pump. If it is old and cracked you should replace it. Are you using the in-hull fuel tank?