1983 Mercury 80 hp fuel pump

dugrow

Cadet
I bought a repair kit for my fuel pump from a local Mercury dealer, when I opened the fuel pump, the diaphragms was split and one of the check valves was in wrong (both facing up) and one was mashed because of being in wrong. Went back to dealer and he sold me another kit with the check valves plus it had a Block filler that held the check valves in place and a spring with a cap that clipped on top. The block filler screw holes lined up where the check valve old retainer screw in. Everything fit and boat runs great once you are on top of the water, but a lot slower getting out of the water before very fast coming out. Could that spring with the cap be causing this or what is the reason for the spring? I have looked at part list and none show the block filler or the spring with cap for my model.

Plainsman

Rear Admiral
Re: 1983 Mercury 80 hp fuel pump

Do you have the repair manual?

Are you saying that you added the Block Filler and spring?

You can check out mercurypartsexpress.com and look for a diagram of your fuel pump.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

Just because its in the kit doesn't mean you need it. They can add one or 2 more parts and then the same kit covers a lot more pumps.

khes142

Cadet

on my 1975 85hp, i did not use the plastic cap or little spring. too hard to get the spring to stay in the check valve keeper. i did use the new valve keeper, instead of the original s. steel clip.Boat ran the same.Now that you have proper fuel delivery, the carbs might need idle mixture adjustment for best operation?

trixkit

Recruit

Have to love google, took me to this site.

I have the same issue, the new check valve kit came with Filter Block,Spring and Cap in place of the retaining bracket. The Spring and Cap don't appear to be made for my model fuel pump. So, looks like I can just use the Filter Block without the Spring and Cap

Thanks

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

I love Google also!
I guess my question about this block and spring have been answered.