Mercury 225 HP Optimax Problems

eric99

Recruit
Hello Fishing fanatics,

I am considering purchasing a 2006 Mercury Optimax 225 HP motor with smart-craft and around 50 hours of total use.

Would you guys recommend this motor, does it usually have problems, and where can I find a review on it?

Thanks

mystro

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Mercury 225 HP Optimax Problems

Like every engine ever made, you'll find both positive and negitive comments but always consider the source and the dates and also ask a reliable machanic who actually works on them. A good place to start will be right here in the iboats merc forum..do the 'optimax search and read.

From what I've read..it and it's counterparts are very good modern 2 strokes that have several advantages over the equally good 4 strokes which also have advantages. IMO, if the engine checks out..you'll like it.

gss036

Commander

I have been looking with the idea of what I would repower with, if and when needed. I probably will stay with the 2 stroke, but, will go with the Evinrude E-TEC. The optis are a nice engine but lot more parts and needs than the E-Tec's. Economy is about the same.

290wellcraft

Recruit

i have a pair of 2000 225 hp optimaxes and i wouldnt trade them for anything they are very reliable from my expierence

coast1345

Recruit

I have twin mercury 225 1999 optimaxs, they both have low hours around 350. The port motor startedd off by giving me trouble starting it, then it would run fine for around 4 hours then just lost power all the way down (not to safe mode). The motor will turn over but not start at all, Here is a list of things we tryied, we used parts off the working motor to check diffrent things, throttle postion, emc, starting postion, checked inline filters,checked the air pressure and fuel pressure both fine. The motor is not getting fuel....... oil is running out of the hub from trying to start it so much.. fuel is making it to the fuel rail but not into the motor.... please any ideas.. we ran a computer on it and can not find anything wrong with the motor my email is txbowhunter30@aol.com

dire_wolf

Recruit

I have a 2007 225hp optimax that i have just experienced issues with. app 160 hrs on it. i began losing power about a week ago. today the marina mech went over the engine, what he found was that cylinders 2 and 3 are not firing.
the plug for cylinder 2 looked brand new like its never fired at all this season. cylinder 3s spark plug showed a bit more wear on it but nothing close to what the plugs from the other cylinders looked like. all tests were positive. spark-compression-fuel-injectors-
when i left they were going to check the cdm units to see if they are defective.
i am just wondering how long cylinder 2 hasnt fired as i did get bursts of some power for 20 seconds occasionally. other wise the engine has run well. my only complaint is that the oil alarm doesnt go off UNTIL you are out of oil. a warning at 1 gallon would save a lot of headaches. granted one should check the oil every so often.

need2fsh

Recruit

gss036, I have talked to 4 outboard mechs and they all say that the E-TEC is a good motor when its not in the shop for lower unit probs. I also talked to a dealer that sells MERC, EVIN, and YAMAHA. He has seen more people re-powering from the E-TECs to MERC than he wished. I was also going to re-power to the E-TEC but quicly changed my mind. Just thought you might like to know !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

steam1

Recruit

I may have the same problem,# 3 plug looks like it didnt fire all season .same motor 2006 optimax 225 with 170 hrs. what was the problem?