Prop and cotter pin

rdreskai

Cadet
Do I need to install the cotter pin on this prop (see picture)? It doesn't look like there is a place for it. Anyone know?
prop.jpg

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Prop and cotter pin

No pin. The tabs are bent over just as shown in your pic. That keeps the nut from turning...

P51D

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Why do they have holes in the tabs?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

It's just the design of them. I imagine if you had those little holes in thousands and thousands of tab washers, it could save a few bucks in manufacturing costs. Or possibly it makes them easier to manufacture. Maybe someone has more conclusive answers..

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

If that nut is tight, ya done something wrong. See in the pic how the locking tab washer has flats for the nut to sit into? It ain't in that pic. The nut goes inside the locking tab washer ..thats what holds the nut..it has 6 tabs. When tight, one of those tabs (ya might have to move it a touch) will line up with one of 8 indentations in the serrated heavy washer that sits against the prop. Only need to bend in that one tab..

sgtej

Recruit

After the locking washer what comes next to get the lower unit off?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

10-4 on lock washer improperly seated.

The holes allow you to pull up the tangs easier when removing the nut. If you ever did one without holes and with, it's night and day.

If this is a Merc and it seems to be there tain't no cotter pin. That's what the lock washer is for and if the nut is properly seated in it (gotta spin them both together when tightening, and you tighten to 50 ft-lbs (for my 90 hp anyway) then you continue to tighten the nut till 3 tabs (120 degrees apart) fit 3 slots in the back of the prop's hub and bend then down to lock her.

Mark

rdreskai

Cadet

Yes, we have tightened this quite a bit and I was wondering if this was correct We went as far as we could until it was very tight and the 3 tabs would line up. Could it be we have tightened it too much?

So, should I release it a bit and make sure the nut sits perfectly against the sides? And I really need only one of those pins to line up or do I need 3?

I bought the new prop and the Mercury Quicksilver Flo-Torq II Hub Kit http://www.tacomapropeller.com/product.asp?Product_id=23772

Or is it possible that I have the lock washer too big for the size of the nut (Do they come in different sizes?) - but that wouldn't make sense, it was all a part of the hub kit.

Texmark - what does "10-4" mean in your post? And, I just use a wrench - how do I know I get up to 50 ft-lbs?

rdreskai

Cadet

Oh, and I know the picture doesn't show this very well, but the nut is actually inside it, just not lining up with the sides of the lock washer.

studlymandingo

Commander

Yes, we have tightened this quite a bit and I was wondering if this was correct We went as far as we could until it was very tight and the 3 tabs would line up. Could it be we have tightened it too much?

Texmark - what does "10-4" mean in your post?

It is probably a bit too tight.

10-4 = Correct​