2005 Mercury 25 not pumping water

bermuda8

Cadet
Hi,

I have a 2005 25 merc that worked fine out on the lake (plenty of water coming thru the hole) but came home, put on the ears to flush and water just barely drips out. I can feel air coming out the hole but no water. Of course I immedietly shut the motor off to hopefully avoid any damage. I've searched other threads but haven't seen this exact problem so I don't know anything I can check before taking it in. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

bermuda8

Cadet
Re: 2005 Mercury 25 not pumping water

I tried running weed wacker string thru the hole but it stops when I get to the elbow bend. Shoudl I take the rubber hose off and try try to run it further?

zzzzz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

you can try compressed air thru the pee tube or a good strong stream of water...have the motor running when you do this so if something is plugging it up it will get flushed right out :cool:

bermuda8

Cadet

Do I put the ears on the bottom of the motor when doing this?

Thanks

bermuda8

Cadet

Well I took the motor in and had a new impeller installed but when I got it home tonite it just drizzles water out when idling then shoots it at full stream then back to drizzle - when it drizzles its so hot it burns my hand - what else could it be?

any help would be appreciated. thanks

bermuda8

Cadet

is this normal? after looking at a gazillion posts it looks as if this is normal. I'm just real paranoid about burning the engine up since the 25 hp one don't have a overheat alarm.