Mercury choke solenoid

singersoll

Cadet
1965 MERC 1000, 100hp, s/n 1769035

HELP please !!!!

Choke Solenoid Plunger part no. 27031A4

? Does anyone know where I can find the above part, new or used ?
? I think I may have bought the last one a couple of years ago. 2 weeks after I installed it I found it laying in the bottom of the cowl with the short cable broken (just like the old one). What could be causing this ? Is there supposed to be something to keep the plunger from falling out of the solenoid ?
? Does anyone have another solution ? I'm frustrated with having to remove the covers every time I need to manually choke the engine................

Thanks

singersoll@cox.net

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mercury choke solenoid

i think any complete choke solenoid, that will fit in the space would work, all it does is pull the choke linkage. is your mounted above the carbs at the top of the engine. if so any solenoid off and inline 4or 6 should replace.

redjmp

Chief Petty Officer

I have one that is 5/8' diameter with plastic shaft from a '75 50 hp.

Attachments

• plunger.jpg
    plunger.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 0

Alumarine

Captain

Can't help you find one but I recently swapped a bunch of parts from a 75 to my 66.

I noticed that the choke solenoids used different diameter plungers.

I can't remember which used which but perhaps the plungers you are using are too small in diameter which is causing them to fall out.

khes142

Cadet

web search for Oldmercs.com . Everything you need is there.

stp242

Cadet

saw one e bay last week, mine did the same and i made a small copper wire to fit from sol to choke and kept bending it with needle nose till i got the right amount of throw. it the sol doesnt remain mostly in the housing it will fall out. gary

dmwj50

Recruit

Where can I buy a rebuild kit for my 1970 choke solenoid?