100HP Mariner 1988 Timing Question

w2much

Lieutenant
Can this motor be timed while running? I went through the link and sync procedures but trying set the timing while cranking the engine was quite difficult( could not see the timing marks and the wife was less than cooperative cranking the motor). I started the engine and timed it while running in a barrel. While running I was able to better view the timing marks. What are the downs of this procedure? It runs and idles great. WOT will be a seperate isssue.

Laddies

Banned
Re: 100HP Mariner 1988 Timing Question

That engine is timed when not running, if you chose to hang of the back of a boat at high speed while trying to set the max spark you will find out why. If your light is to dim to see and you don't have excess to a better one then try it in the evening when surrounding light is dimmer

j_martin

Admiral

Get a remote starter cord at your local napa or clown auto. Clips on with aligator clips, mash the button at the end of the cord at your convenience. Much more dependable than a wife.

hope it helps
John

w2much

Lieutenant

j martin and Laddies, You are both correct Thank You. I can see where timing at WOT will be an issue but madmen certainly do mad things. So my question remains . Is timing set the same while cranking and while running. Motor purrs like never before having timed the engine at idle while running at 800 RPM in a barrel. Idles down to 600 in gear , starts up quickly. The sticker from the manufacturer on the airbox says to set it (the timing)at 700 RPM(running I presume). By the way I figured out why my timing marks were so hard to see. I had my timing light grounded to the starter, I also had the POS connected to the POS at the starter(after the soloniod). Made for an irregular connection which frustrated me to no end. I will try the static timing again(without the wife) next weekend with the timing light connected correctly. If not I'll be the guy flying down the channel without the shroud on aiming the timing light at the marks hoping for a flat spot where I am not bouncing around complaining about not being able to see the timing marks.

saumon

Lieutenant

I've been said that it's possible to set the WOT timing at cranking speed, wich is around 5000 rpm with a good batterie. While cranking, you set it 2 deg. less than the max advance, but i've never tried it.

To do so, you'll have to use a remote starter or find a place to hookup a temporary switch to activate the starter motor (starter solenoid?), remove the plugs and ground the leads, and push the throttle lever all the way in by bypassing the neutral start switch (don't know how it's done?).

Any gurus there who can help?