Power trim motor/pump removal (150hp Mariner)

DocBob

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm replacing the power trim motor/pump assembly on my 1985 Mariner 150hp V-6. I've found a used working unit and pulled mine. In order to pull the pump/motor and replace it, I know I need to remove the two bolts marked #20 in the attached diagram (I sure hope the picture came through!)...what else do I need to remove/loosen to get the motor & pump off?
Thanks in advance,
Bob

Attachments

• Merc tilt and trim (cropped).jpg
    Merc tilt and trim (cropped).jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 1

DocBob

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Power trim motor/pump removal (150hp Mariner)

Anyone?

WhalerSailor

Cadet

Those two bolts should be all you need to remove to get the motor off. BEWARE however of small springs and steel balls falling out. The residual oil in the pump will tend to hold them in place until you're not looking. Its best to disassemble on a table covered with a white towel so when something falls you can find it easily. Also prepare some extra rags for a really messy job. Other than that you may find that the pump just needs a littlt tlc. These things aside from the motor are fairly simple and hard to kill. Most problems stem from the "Pilot Valve" which sometimes stick but can be brought back with some cleaning, new "O" ring and new transmission fluid.

DocBob

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Whaler!

Unfortunately the motor lost its seal somewhere along the line. I had no power this year when I went to get the boat running, even jumping it directly to a battery.

When I pulled the motor a bunch of rusty water poured out and the insides looked like mush. Of course there is no aftermarket replacement motor made for this unit. You have to replace the pump too! So anyway, that's where I'm at. I wasn't sure if just pulling those two screws would do it. It didn't seem to be loose when I removed them and I didn't want to force it. I guess it might just need a little "coaxing".

DocBob

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry, I should have asked for clarification in my last post.

Whaler said remoiving the two bolts "should be all you need to remove to get the motor off"...does that mean the MOTOR & PUMP assembly, or just the motor?