50 HP Mercury Control Box

sledstew

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I need a control box for a 50 HP mercury, motor serial # 5864837, it currently has a quicksilver control box on it but I was wondering which other control /throttle boxes would work for this boat. Also If I take the box apart can the lever be tightened up, it wiggles out toward the seat and is really sloppy.Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

ricksrster

Commander
Re: 50 HP Mercury Control Box

Of course you can take it apart and see what ails it. Also, you can get new parts for it if anything is broken.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

I need a control box for a 50 HP mercury, motor serial # 5864837, it currently has a quicksilver control box on it but I was wondering which other control /throttle boxes would work for this boat. Also If I take the box apart can the lever be tightened up, it wiggles out toward the seat and is really sloppy.Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

All Merc control boxes are forward and backward compatible (old ones will work with new engines, new ones will work with old engines). If you find a broken/missing part, post a photo of it and someone will (probably) give you the part number....:)

The loose handle sound like the retaining bolt is loose/missing. Take the control box off the panel and look at the back. In the centre of the box should be a bolt inside a recess. Is it there?

Chris.........

sledstew

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There is no bolt on the backside of the panel, you have take the cover off and its kind of a bearcat to get it apart,.