1988 100 Hp Mariner Water Pump Sealing Ring ?

w2much

Lieutenant
Replacing the impeller on this engine. Puchased an impeller kit . Looking at my Seloc manual shows a sealing ring which appears to be on the drive shaft above the water pump housing. When dropping the L/U I came across no sealing ring. I stuck my finger up the drive shaft housing thinking it may have been stuck there but it was not to be found. The motor was pumping water fine i just thought it a good idea th change out the impeller as I do not know how long since it has been serviced. I would like to wrap this project up this weekend , not order another part and wait another week. Will an O ring work in place of the sealing ring which was not there in the first place. Thanks for your replies. Now that I have the pump I am anxious the put the L/U back on and go for a spin as the weather has been hot this week.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1988 100 Hp Mariner Water Pump Sealing Ring ?

It's called a Slinger. It's supposed to keep sand and carbon away from the upper seal on the water pump housing. Yours doesn't have one for two reasons. There is no upper seal in your water pump housing, and the exhaust is isolated from your water pump making it unnecessary. So much for the Seloc manual. They are great for generalities, but sometimes they can mislead. You'll need a bead of RTV silicone on that plate and rubber thingy behind the water pump to form a perfect seal between the driveshaft and exhaust chambers. Put your gearcase back on and Go Have Fun! :)

w2much

Lieutenant
Re: 1988 100 Hp Mariner Water Pump Sealing Ring ?

WillyBWright, Thank You for your reply. My error . I misinterpreted the diagram completely.The manual was correct I was not. My manuals are in the reading room, must have been to early and I half asleep. Again Thank You for your reply. You have replied to earlier post from me, each one a help.