25HP engine lock

Bo Diddley

Recruit
Just picked up a 25 Mariner 1983 model.
My question is about the flat thumb plate for the engine lock. If pushed down the engine dont lock either when shifted in forward or reverse. In the center position, it locks the engine in both forward and reverse.
Im lost ........one of those positions should lock it when just in the reverse position shouldnt it and not both forward and reverse?
There isnt any way that this attaches or is moved by the actual shifting on the shifting box that I can see. Your either locked up both ways or not.
Also ......after you raise the engine in a trailering position ,can you or how do you lock it in that tilted up position?
Thank you for any reply,
Bo

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 25HP engine lock

use the go advance below and manage attachments, and upload some pictures, of what you are talking about. if you want to tilt when trailering get a transom saver.

BigDaddy300

Cadet

I just recently purchased the same motor. Post some pics and I will look at mine to see what you are talking about. I do know that my lock to hold it in the up position is missing. I was also told that you should not trailer in the up position. Not sure if you are aware of this but that motor was made by Yamaha in that year.

bermuda8

Cadet

my 2005 25 hp is missing the tilt lock also - did you guys ever figure out how to get the tilt lock to work or what parts you need?

Thanks