65 HP Mercury

Stumpys

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey guys long time no see... Anyway, what the hell is a clutch dog. My dad's 65 hp seems to be grinding when going in reverse. I'm tired of him complaining to me, so should I check that clutch dog first?

redjmp

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 65 HP Mercury

It is just a little cog in the lower end. Not easy to service.
I think you need a few special tools to operate on the lower unit and is probably best left to a shop.
Get the serial # and go to mercurypartsexpress and see for yourself what that part is.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

when shifting the shift should be quick and deliberate. not the let's easy it into gear, and listen to the gears mesh. slow shifting wears the edges of the teeth on the shift dogs and gears.

Stumpys

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks gents... I will try and adjust the cables first before I tear into the lower unit.

Jeffs9150

Recruit
Re: 1965 65 HP Mercury Starting Problems

Re: 1965 65 HP Mercury Starting Problems

I have 65 hp that runs well after I spray startin fluid into the carburators. When the engine is turned off for about 10 minutes I have to use starting fluied to resart. If I try and start within the 10 min, estimated, the engine fires right up. The carbs were rebuilt this spring. It did start at one time this summer but it didn't have high speed. Now I have high speed but it won't start. The engine will start with gas sprayed into the carbs. the shop that worked on the engine said there is a ring on the piston that draws fuel into the carbs. Is there anything besides replacing the rings that I could try?