Racor fuel filter

matt2002

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a racor fuel filter/water seperator on one of my boats.At first I had it downstream of the primer bulb but had problems with losing prime.A couple of years later I located it upstream of the primer bulb and had no problems except you have to prime the new filter by disconnecting it and filling it with fuel.What's the correct layout for this ? I couldn't find it in the paperwork that came with the filter.

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: Racor fuel filter

We've been installing a lot of these fuel separators.The reason is the draining function.You can easily check for water.Some of these have a plastic bowl on the botttom,and you can see the water.

We are installing the primer bulb between the tank and the filter,with little or no trouble.The exception is the newer EFI that have an electric lift fuel pump.We just recycle the key on,key off, etc.an extra round.Merc reccomends no primer bulb on these engines.

You should be able to fill a replaced filter with your primer bulb without pre-filling or disconnecting a thing.Just keep priming until everything is full.

DHP