1962 Mercury 850 carb question

quachita

Recruit
I am not well aquainted with working on outboards. When I have the choke on the engine "open" I can see into the three carb barrels. There is a little tapered tube inside and I am not sure of it's name. The gasoline enters the carb here. On my engine while trying to start it drops of gasoline bubble out of the three tubes. Shouldn't there be more of a mist instead of drops. The engine won't start and I am trying to trouble shoot the problem.

The carbs are clean and so are the fine metal filters and gas lines.

There was however a "rubber" diaphragm/gasket that completly covered the back of each fuel pump that blocked the fuel from entering the motor and the adjacent fuel pump so I removed the rubber diaphragm leaving just the gasket. Not sure if this was the right thing to do.

Thanks
Milt

Laddies

Banned
Re: 1962 Mercury 850 carb question

The diaphrams you removed are the diaphams that pump fuel to the carbs, without them when you pump the bulb you are pumping fuel straight into the crankcase, replace them or the engine will never run. BUY A MANUAL

quachita

Recruit

Thanks for taking the time to reply and thanks for letting me know that I have to purchase a manual. As soon as I get the money I will and I will let you know as well.

THANKS AGAIN!!!!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Manuals are cheaper than engines, and keep you from doing things like removing the fuel pump diaphrams that actually make the fuel pump work.