Mercury 9.9 Flywheel repair??

antonellis

Recruit
I have a 9.9 Mercury Mariner motor 1995 that has been sitting over the past year.

When i went to test start it i could not pull the coil more than 3 inches...i've taken off the cover and made sure the locking mechanism is not jammed...further i have un screwed the 1/2 inch screw at bottom near propeller to make sure had oil and it does.

After removing the coil off completely i tried to spin the flywheel by hand and reallized this was not possible...

I found somewhere on the internet this may have something to do with the spark plugs being in and if i take them i out i should be able to spin the flywheel...i havent tried this yet but either way, what i dont understand is that the spark plugs will need to be in when i want to start the motor for real so what does it even mean to me if i can spin the flywheel with out the spark plugs in?

It costs over $75/hr for the repair shop just to look at this plus parts and im just trying to put my 12' aluminum boat in some local lakes for fishing and would rather not spend $200 on this repair...does this sound like something i can figure out...i dont understand why my flywheel will not spin with the spark plugs in and how taking them out can help fix this problem if they will need to be in to start the motor?

Can i anyone help explain this for me or do i need to take this to the professionals?

Thanks

Steve

MJ76

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Mercury 9.9 Flywheel repair??

You should be able to spin the flywheel by hand on a 9.9 with or without the plugs in it. Sounds to me like the motor's seized. Did you fog it before you put it away? Is there any way water could have gotten into it?

If that is the case, pull the plugs and spray some penetrating oil into the cylinders...liberally. Let it sit. Then try to work the flywheel back and forth just a little bit. Repeat until you can free it up. If you do, don't immediately start it. Just keep adding fresh oil and working the flywheel around by hand. The idea is to break up the rust on the cylinder walls. Once it feels nice and smooth, flush it out (spray fresh oil in there and dump it out the spark plug holes or pull the rope gently a couple times with the plugs out).

Then cross your fingers and try to start it. I've brought back quite a few frozen outboards this way.

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you do get it running you might want to run the oil rich for a while and also do a decarb with seafoam.

antonellis

Recruit

thank you for your response

can i use wd40 for a penetrating oil...it does appear to have got water in it and has rust along the side walls....is that what you meant by the motor seized?

It is tough to spray along the inner sidewalls....i have been attempting to spray wd40 in and all around the inner parts of the flywheel...still not a budge.

i do not know or can not see these cylinders you mentioned spraying...also can not visibly see anywhere to flush through with oil...fthe motor runs on a mix of gas and oil and as fas as i know the only place i have put oil before has been in the gas tank...

so far the wd40 has not been working...am i doing this completly wrong?

MJ76

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You want to be spraying the oil directly into the cylinders through the spark plug holes. Spraying the oil under the flywheel won't do any good. There is probably rust on the cylinder walls, and the pistons wont move in the cylinders. As I said, spray the oil in through the spark plug holes and you may have to let it sit to let the oil start to break down the rust. Then try to work the flywheel back and forth by hand. If it doesn't work, another shot of oil (use the red spray tube to direct the oil onto the walls of the cylinders), let it sit again. repeat...