Function of power trim/tilt buttons on1980 Merc 115

Dumb RTFM question, but I don't have an operator's manual, the shop manual doesn't help, and I can't remember from years ago how this is supposed to work.

Can someone explain how the three (3) buttons on a 1980 Merc 115 HP outboard power trim/tilt control are supposed to work? The buttons are "Up" "Up/Out" and "In." I can get the unit to trim in with the "In" button but I have to depress both "Up" and the center "Up/Out" buttons simultaneously to get the unit to trim out at all. I thought the "Up" button by itself was to trim the unit out and then you depressed both "Up" and "Up/Out" to override the trim limit and lift it all the way up for trailering, but it doesn't seem to be working that way. The "Up" button itself must be functioning because it works in conjunction with "Up/Out" to raise the unit, but does nothing by itself. Suggestions?

Plainsman

Rear Admiral
Re: Function of power trim/tilt buttons on1980 Merc 115

Scott,
Use the center button with either the in or out button

does it look like this?

tiltpin.jpg

Yes, that's the control in Figure 12. Now I understand how it's supposed to work. Thanks for the manual section (wish I had that manual!).

So it's not functioning as they say, i.e., it doesn't trim out when depressing the "Up/Out" button by itself, as the manual states it should. It only moves out when both "Up/Out" and "Up" are pressed simultaneously, which is supposed to be the trailering mode. But at least I now know how it's supposed to work, so hopefully I can track down the problem.

Thanks again!

Scott

(Great forum!)

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

You have to use the center button to trim up or in. So press the center button in and the either up or in while holding the center button in.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

There is a upper trim limit switch on the outboard which prevents over triming of the outboard. the Up button when pressed with the up/out button over rides the limit switch and allows the unit to be tilted up for beaching and trailoring. Perhaps the circut with limit switch is open

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Scott, You have the functions correct (in your mind). The trim limit switch is either incorrectly adjusted or broken. Look on the starboard side trim cylinder. You should see a piece of flat stainless steel sticking out. There should be a screw next to it. If you tilt up the motor, you can look inside the bracket and see the trim liimit switch (black pushbutton). It is likely broken. If so, you can replace it, you can bypass it or you can ignore it an operate the trim with the two buttons. On most boats, they will venitlate before you over trim them.

Thanks again. Now it's making sense. I'll check it out.

Scott

Smig

Petty Officer 2nd Class

scott_r said:
...wish I had that manual!.

Click your heels twice...then click here.