replacing trim/tilt switch in mercury shifter

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbcullen

Recruit
I have a 1998 Mercury shifter (controls a 125 hp outboard) unit that the trim/tilt switch has gone bad on. I ordered the new switch and then began trying to figure out how to get the old one out and new one in. the handle is black plastic and seems to not be able to be taken apart. I can see the wires running from the bottom of the shifter and through the hole in the console and they plug into connectors inside the console. That looks easy enough. Does anyone know how to take apart the shifter, remove the old trim/tilt switch and replace it? Does the entire shifter need to be disassembled to do this? Any help is greatly appreciated!

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: replacing trim/tilt switch in mercury shifter

Merc/Quicksiver makes a lot of controls,and I don't intend to mislead you ...... BUT

If you need to remove the shift/throttle lever itself,and you have a throttle only button at the pivot point of the handle .... put the control in full forward position.Now you can pry out the button.Then you can see the 11/16 nut that holds the handle on.Before proceeding,move the control lever back to neutral,as it makes reassembly easier.

DHP

bbcullen

Recruit

DHPMARINE said:
Merc/Quicksiver makes a lot of controls,and I don't intend to mislead you ...... BUT

If you need to remove the shift/throttle lever itself,and you have a throttle only button at the pivot point of the handle .... put the control in full forward position.Now you can pry out the button.Then you can see the 11/16 nut that holds the handle on.Before proceeding,move the control lever back to neutral,as it makes reassembly easier.

DHP

bbcullen

Recruit

DHPMARINE said:

DHP

It does have the throttle only button at the pivot point. A black button. Do I push in the button and then put the control in full forward position, or do I NOT push in the button and put the throttle in the full forward position? I didn't understand that part. Once in full forward, you are saying that button can be pryed out? then there is a nut that holds the handle on. Do you have to replace the whole handle with switch, or can the switch be removed from the handle? the handle is black plastic (T handle) and the switch is embedded in the handle. Even if I remove the whole handle, I still can't figure out how to take apart the T-handle to get the old switch out. The T handle looks to be in two pieces, but they appear to be glued together. Unless somehow they actually snap together. Not sure.

DHPMARINE

Captain

Have it in gear when you push the lever forward,pry out the button.Then return the lever to neutral,and remove the nut and lever.

As I said,they make a lot of controls,but I've posted the basics as I know them.Older controls are even worse.

Most controls are like this,but there are some binnacle (top mounts) that you accually use a razor blade to cut the cover off. Go figure !!

DHP

bbcullen

Recruit

DHPMARINE said:
Have it in gear when you push the lever forward,pry out the button.Then return the lever to neutral,and remove the nut and lever.

As I said,they make a lot of controls,but I've posted the basics as I know them.Older controls are even worse.

Most controls are like this,but there are some binnacle (top mounts) that you accually use a razor blade to cut the cover off. Go figure !!

DHP

I found the control on the internet. It is 88688A25 MERCURY O/B TOP MOUNT CONTROL

I'd attach a pic but don't know how. Anyway, I am thinking it's one of those rascals that you have to cut the t handle with a razor to separate the two parts, replace the switch and then glue it back. I hope not, but to be honest, there just doesn't seem to be any other access point. Thanks much!

bbcullen

Recruit

Update on this issue. I used the part number I found and called a local Mercury dealer. He looked up the control and found that you have to replace the handle itself because the tilt/trim switch is integrated and cannot be replaced by itself. Grand total of new handle? $109.

With DHP's help I at least know how to replace it!

thanks!

suivax

Recruit

Hello DHP, I see this is an old thread... I am hoping you can give me a little guidance. I need to replace the tilt / trim button on my Quicksilver 2000 Commander and I don't want this thing to fall into a million pieces if I remove the center bolt. I'm hoping the shifter will come straight off so I can remove the switch assembly. Can you confirm this for me? There may be an easier way to remove this button. I have attached pictures for reference.

Thank you!
Jeff

IMAG0561.jpgIMAG0564_2.jpgswitch_1.JPGswitch.JPGshifter.JPG

Last edited:
Yes, I know it's an old thread - but just in case this is of help (now that I've had to do this exact same job myself...)

Firstly, the OP bbcullen's control unit is not the same as Suivax's above. Bbcullens' is a 88688A25 MERCURY which I know nothing about. Suivax's control unit is, however, the same as mine.

So, with ref to Suivax's excellent photos and diagrams above:

1) Remove the whole unit from your bulkhead - it is secured by three bolts which pass through from the outside, and three undoubtedly hard-to-get-to nuts inside...
2) With the control lever in the neutral position, undo that large central bolt shown in the first picture. Yes, that is the tip of its thread shown ringed in red and marked '2' in the second picture. This will allow the whole arm to pull off - but it will be still connected by the trim switch cable.
3) The red neutral-lock lever is held in place by a small bracket and two screws (13 & 14 in the exploded diagram). It will also have a spring fitted behind it, so take care as you remove it. This should give you access to the trim switch.
4) You will likely also need to remove the unit cover - at least the lower one which is held by two screws - to get further access to the wiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.