Is it ok to change mercury tank connection to an evenrude?

Gary Spence

Cadet
Constantly hae problems with mercury tank connection leaking. I don't like the design with the o ring. Would changing the quick connect to an evenrude design cause any problems?

OldMercsRule

Captain
Re: Is it ok to change mercury tank connection to an evenrude?

Hi Gary, I run my inline 6 Mercs 1968-1981 vintage(some of the time) on Johnrude gas tanks with the fittings from Johnrudes on the tank end, I also run my later model 25s (twin cylinder models 1989 and 1996) on either older Merc fittings and tanks on the tank end or Johnrude fittings and tanks. They run fine on those and have for many years. The newer, (and more hungry due to much higher HP), engines may not have sufficient fuel flow from the older fittings, so let's wait for the real experts to weigh in. It might help them if you gave a specific size and year kicker you are talking about. Hope this helps JR

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

My newly acquired '02 Merc 90 has the fuel line permanently secured to the engine. Since I don't remove the engine, nor run the carbs dry like we did in the old days this works perfectly as I don't need to remove it.

But to answer your question a connector is just that. Only consideration is that it's large enough to pass the required amount of fuel. If the hose fittings fit your hose (5/16....3/8) then you'd think that you are good to go.

Mark

Harker

Chief Petty Officer

I'm thinking about changing my tanks to a Honda fitting with the coupler type fitting. Also, I am contemplating taking the little motor side bayonet type fitting of my old 9.8 and running a johnson or new merc type fitting on it..probably the same one that is on my 25 Mariner.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Go for it!

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

I dunno, man. Won't it reject it like a kidney from somebody with a different blood type? ;)

All of the connectors I've seen have o-rings. The problem may be a scratch or flaw on the male part. (Ouch! :% )

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

ZERO problem....or if ya do, maybe I should say, PROBLEM solved.
( I used a quick disconnect air fitting for 5 years on a old Johnson.....worked fine)

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Gary, Like JR, I converted my tank fittings to OMC fittings, which work better and are more compact. I use this combo on an old inline 6 1500, which is about as thirsty as it can get. I have not had a fuel flow issue.

Gary Spence

Cadet

Thanks for all the feedback. My Merc is a 68 110 9.8hp. Just wasn't sure if the passage way in the connector would allow the same amount of fuel flow. I'm going to try it, same fuel hose size and male thread. Will keep my old one handy just in case. Going hunting this weekend in Arkansas. Will let you guys know how it did.

OldMercsRule

Captain

Chris1956 said:
Gary, Like JR, I converted my tank fittings to OMC fittings, which work better and are more compact. I use this combo on an old inline 6 1500, which is about as thirsty as it can get. I have not had a fuel flow issue.

Hey Chris, I used this system with one of my inlines that was a 1500 as well, (as well as the rest of 'em). Thirsty as she was a 200 + horse engine drinks more fuel and the later higher horse power engines had larger diameter fuel lines and fittings. That is why I suggested the initial poster (Gary) specify his engine for the real pros on this site. Thanks JR

OldMercsRule

Captain

Gary said:
Thanks for all the feedback. My Merc is a 68 110 9.8hp. Just wasn't sure if the passage way in the connector would allow the same amount of fuel flow. I'm going to try it, same fuel hose size and male thread. Will keep my old one handy just in case. Going hunting this weekend in Arkansas. Will let you guys know how it did.

Guess I was typin' when you finaly told us what you had. That size should work great with either the Merc fittings, (ones in good shape as 38 years is a few years of potential use and wear), or Johnrude fittings. JR