1980 90HP Mariner IL 6 replacement options

Stinkin_V8

Cadet
Hi all,

I'm new here, been lurking for a while and I've already learned a lot. I'm also pretty new to boats, been building cars before this.

I've got a 16' Edson tri-hull with a siezed 90HP Mariner. S/N indicates both the boat and engine are from 1980. The leg seems to be in good shape and I've pulled the power head off. I removed the water jacket cover around the spark plugs and found cracks into two of the cylinders. So the block is toast, but the electronics should (as far as I know) still be good.

I'm not sure what's the best solution for a die-hard DIYer on a budget.

1) I could replace the power head, but do I need to find the exact IL 6 that was on there or is there a range of power heads that will fit that leg?

2) I could buy a whole new motor, which I couldn't test-drive until spring. :% Is there a range of Merc/Mariner motors that I should be looking at to keep the controls and power trim currently in the boat?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1980 90HP Mariner IL 6 replacement options

You can ask Iboats for a rebuilt powerhead quote. You can also ask Clams Canino for the same, since he is a IL6 rebuilder. A range of powerheads will fit that motor. The only limiting factor is the type of ignition your have. I expect you have the 6 coil ADI ignition, which appeared on different HP motors in different years. Personally, if you can get someone to sell you a rebuilt 115HP powerhead from the same year, that will be best.

Stinkin_V8

Cadet

Thanks for the reply, Chris. The quote on iboats.com for a rebuilt power head was pretty attractive, although the shipping is probably going to be the killer (I live in Canada). How do I find Clams Canino?

I was considering a 115HP replacement, but I saw a tag on the transom of the boat that said 35 KW (about 60 HP). I have to check out if this is the power rating or not but if it is, the 90 is already a little on the high side. :(

Is this rating something that should be strictly followed? I've heard of friends buying boats from a dealer with motors with higher output than the boat was rated for.

79Merc140

Seaman Apprentice

Hello:

You can put a powerhead from 1979 - 1984 (I think) and hp ratings of 90, 115, and 140. Now remember, these ratings at at the crankshaft, not the propshaft, so at the prop, it's a little lower (IE, 90 = ~80, 115 = ~90, 140 = ~115) give or take. I am pretty sure that the boat bulders were rating at the prop for motors so you should have some leway there. Clams will be able to clearify this more.

Happy boating.

Craig

2cycle

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do a search here for Clams as he lists his email address in his signature. Trust me, from personal experience, he'll put you on the right track.

Stinkin_V8

Cadet

Thanks for the tips, guys! I tried calling the number when I got the iBoats quote for the replacement powerhead but there was a message saying I had to enter a code?

I'll try contacting Clams - sounds like he's a knowledgable guy.

Stinkin_V8

Cadet

I decided to go with the rebuilt powerhead from iBoats but when I phoned I was told the vendor that supplies this motor doesn't ship to Canada. :(

Anyone have any suggestions?

redjmp

Chief Petty Officer

Parting out your motor and putting that toward the cost of a good used one off ebay or craigslist would make $en$e. You can get a nice 60-90 hp for under $1000. Selling all the good parts might make you twice that.
Are you in western Canada? If so check out buysell.com. They often have cheap motors for sale.

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

Check out themarinedoctor.com He's in your area, and may be able to assist.