• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old threads or hijack existing threads. Old threads of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old threads should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís thread (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the thread is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old thread.

5. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís thread. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread.

7. Posting at the end of any thread is considered to be hijacking the original posters thread which in turn subjects the thread to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive thread asking you not to reply to old threads. The Red banner will read: Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

How to winterize 50 HP mercury four stroke

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to winterize 50 HP mercury four stroke

What needs to be done with a 1999 Mercury 50 HP to wnterize it? I know the basics like drain the block of all water and change the oil in the lower unit and motor.I was wondering if there are any specific things that should be done so I dont regret it next year.

Re: How to winterize 50 HP mercury four stroke

Winterizing
    Rest in Peace Spinner

2010 Lowe FM 175 with a 2010 115 Mercury
    ------------------------------------------------
    Your friend,your partner, your defender,your dog.You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion....by E.F. Henry

Comment

Jake, I did not read the entire post by Eric (too long). Outboards are self-draining, so I recommend the following.

Fill the tank with gas and the appropriate amount of fuel stabilizer. Remove the propeller, and either store separately, or grease the prop shaft and reinstall at the end of the winterization process.

Start the motor on the muffs, and run it for 5 minutes or so to flush it. Spray fogging oil into the carb intakes until it smokes a lot or stalls. Turn off the ignition

Remove the muffs and let it drain in a vertical position for 10 minutes.

Drain and refill the engine oil and filter. Drain and refill the gearcase oil.

Spray powerhead with corrosion protection. Pump marine grease into all the grease fittings you can find.

Leave the motor in a vertical position if at all possible Disconnect battery.

I do not belive in putting plastic bags on the LU or powerhead. I think it traps moisture. A canvas or duck cover on the powerhead is good to keep the sun off of it.

Comment

Jake,

I have a 2001 50 hp 4stroke. ditto to above except I was told by both the service tech I bought it from and from the Mercury service line to NOT fog this motor. Something about the motor not running hot enough to burn the fogging oil away soon enough to prevent the exhaust valves from overheating. I just change the oil and filter and grease everything with zircs. I always add stabil to the fuel to prevent problems. I run it on muffs for a few minutes after changing the motor oil to insure fresh oil is run through the engine. I then follow the Merc recommendation and add a little motor oil to each cylinder and slowly turn the motor over a couple of times by hand (with the spark plugs removed) to spread the oil around the cylinders.

RCS

Comment

ditto

Comment

Working...
          X