Power Trim Pump Motor Rebuild?

Capt. Crunch

Seaman
1979 V-150

Trying to hook everything up for the maiden voyage and just got into the power trim/tilt. I believe I have everything wired as per the diagram (hear clicking from up, down, and trailer buttons). I did some troubleshooting following the manual I have and followed the voltage through each point until the manual finally indicated replacing the pump motor.

Is it possible to have it rebuilt? If so, where can I take it? The local hydraulic place that replaced my hoses, or someplace else? The replacement cost for a new one is $975 for the Eaton Rectangular motor I need !!! That's $1K towards the four stroke I want to eventually put on the boat! ...thinking of giving the leads that feed the motor direct voltage as a final test, or trying to spin the motor and re-test it seeing how I believe the motor has been sitting for some time.

Thanks,
Dennis

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Power Trim Pump Motor Rebuild?

You might check with your local auto electric shop. We have one that says if it runs on 12V they can fix it but I've never taken a T&T motor to them.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Direct voltage to the motor would be a good idea before replacing it. You may also want to disassemble it and see what condition it's in...Anyplace that rebuilds electric motors or starters should be able to do the job..

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Crunch, First disassemble the motor. My '77 PTT motor had a bi-metal overload circuit breaker that got some dirt between the contacts. Motor no workee. Also, make sure you have a good ground on the black wire of the motor. it is common to both up and down windings. Third, WestMarine and BoatUS have quite a few aftermarket motors for common PTT units. If you have the motor with the one-piece resvoir top, check closely to make sure any replacemnt will fit. I found that some of the replacements were for a different motor, and the armature was too short to reach the pump unit.

Capt. Crunch

Seaman

Thanks for the tips guys. I actually took the motor apart to find out the condition. Upon opening, it seemed like quite a bit of water got in there at one time. Everything was completely corroded and the shaft wouldn't turn. I wire brushed it after completely disassembling it and hit all the surfaces with some ultra fine emery. I put it back together and tested it quickly with a cordless drill battery. It actually started to spin!

I put the whle pump back together and no luck again. I ran out of daylight before I could put direct voltage to it with the pump attached. Either way, I'm almost positive I'm looking at a new motor or rebuild because the inside looked so bad. I'll update the results here.

Thanks again.

Dennis

Capt. Crunch

Seaman

Thanks Chris, I'll check for some cheaper aftermarkets too. I found one on the net (under $100), that looks like it would do the job. I'd just have to test fit it to my pump below it to make sure. Maybe I'll run over to West Marine and try one that matches that part number and see how it fits first.

Thanks.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

What is the part number of your pump?

Capt. Crunch

Seaman

rickdb1boat said:
What is the part number of your pump?

Rick, I believe the part number for the whole pump is 823653A9, and 92459A4 is listed as the "superceded from" part number. Here is what it looks like:

53.png