65 hp 4 cyl. mercury low speed problem

dave carlson

Recruit
older 69/70? motor dies out when at trolling speeds. It will make a noise like something is still running in motor when it dies and sometimes on restarting you will get nothing like the battery is dead but there is still plenty of juice in battery and after a few minutes the motor will restart. It seems to run fine at higher speeds.

LarryVII

Cadet
Re: 65 hp 4 cyl. mercury low speed problem

The noise is the clue. I believe you need a new hub on the prop.

rndn

Commander

The hub on the prop has nothing to do with how the engine is running and will not make it die at low speeds.

LarryVII

Cadet

Did on mine I just had repaired.

SFC E7 USA Ret.

JIMERSON72

Recruit

I have also a problem with low or no speed......motor runs fine until i put it in the water, and put it in gear..........it wont get going and then gets hot and shuts off....have no idea....can anyone help cj:confused: 65hp merc 650

raven174us

Seaman

I have also a problem with low or no speed......motor runs fine until i put it in the water, and put it in gear..........it wont get going and then gets hot and shuts off....have no idea....can anyone help cj:confused: 65hp merc 650

Mine is doing something like that. It would move in the water but then overheat. I'm guessing its the water pump.