• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old threads or hijack existing threads. Old threads of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old threads should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís thread (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the thread is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old thread.

5. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís thread. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread.

7. Posting at the end of any thread is considered to be hijacking the original posters thread which in turn subjects the thread to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive thread asking you not to reply to old threads. The Red banner will read: Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Do those carb cleaners really work?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do those carb cleaners really work?

I own a 50 hp Mercury 1984. Should I ever suspect something wrong with the carburetors, is it worth trying those foam carb cleaners first before taking carbs apart? If so, what's good for Mercury? Thanks

Re: Do those carb cleaners really work?

Hi merc.

I have used the Mercury Decarbonizer successfully on my 1992 40HP Merc.
    It cleaned out both intake and outake areas and motor rans pretty good.
    I hear it's pretty hard on spark-plugs..... but I didn't notice that symptom.
    Its definately cheaper than tear-down and rebuild.

Good Luck. CF

Comment

i could use some more opinions...thanks

Comment

mercer, nothing can clean a really dirty carb, other than disassembly, soaking, blowing out, and reassembly with a new kit. the decarb stuff can help but will not totally clean it. but for $6-7 it's worth a try first. always do a linc n sinc after a rebuild. see Clams post in the engine faq on L n S . spraying auto carb cleaner into a 2 cycle engine can damage the engine, as it has no oil, and strips the insides of oil.
        FLORIDA GATORS
        TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
        That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Comment

In some cases carb cleaner, fuel injection or seafoam that you add to the fuel. can help clean the system out. As long as it has a flow and not stopped up all the way.
          In some cases it is worth a try $3 or $4 bucks VS A $200.00 carb job. In most cases when you have a dirty carb it needs to be taken apart and cleaned. But also in some cases a bottle of a additive can do the job.
          Here is a good example.
          One time my new corvette had a skip It was cutting out at WOT and had a ruff idle. I took it to the dealership. They charged me $175.00 to add a bottle of fuel injection cleaner. And to drive my vette around at WOT for about 30 minutes It done the job. But I could have done the same thing for $4.00. + fuel.... Also they told me to run a bottle of good fuel injection cleaner every 3 or 4 tanks of gas . I do now and have not had that problem ever since. So it is a good idea to run a good cleaner in anything from time to time on a regular basis.
          STP in the black bottle is a good cleaner. I use seafoam in my boats. With good results. Tim

Comment

Mercury's "Power Tune" spray de-carb treatment has always worked quite well for me. Give it a try but follow the directions. Lots of folks will recommend SeaFoam and it is also great stuff....actually, I will use either one.

Comment

If you deside to use a carb cleaner use one that mixes in the fuel the junk you spray in the throat of a carb does nothing at all to clean fuel passages and they are where the problems are

Comment

I own a '85 50hp. I love the engine and it may be one the best engines merc ever designed.

That said, if your '84 has never had the carbs rebuilt, it may be time. It is very easy to do and the part kit is inexpensive. The cleaners can clean the carbs, but a worn needle valve and seat can only be replaced.

Comment

Thanks for sharing your opinions.

Comment

SeaFoam it!!!!!!!!!!! Put a can in your 6 gal tank, if that does not help, it's rebuild time. Plain and simple.

Comment

I have had excellent results with Sea Foam and Deep Creep, not only in my outboard, but other 2 and 4 cycle engines. My latest caper is a 40 year old diesel tractor that it really cleaned up.

In the outboard, the first time, I used something like a pint can to 5 gallons of gas. After that I put in about half a can to anywhere between 5 and 8 gallons of gas and I do it every time I gas up.

Mark
                      If you are new to boating or have a new boat, a knowledgeable friend could show you how to operate your boat and save you a lot of grief, maybe some money, and maybe your life.

Comment

Some are better than others. S.T.P Fuel injecter cleaner in the black bottle has worked well for me. Mercury power tune has gave good results also, and so has seafoam.
                        Like said before, Most of the time if you need a carb job / Cleaning done. You have to take the carbs apart and clean them.
                        Tim

Comment

Why wait until you have a problem. Add SeaFoam in every tank of fuel and don't worry about carb problems.

Comment

Silvertip Good idea. But I have seen seafoam and other cleaners knock stuff loose and clog a carb. May be so if you had a totally clean system to start with.

Comment

Seafoam it the best way to go.

Comment

Working...
                              X