7.5 mercury (no water pumping)

308user

Recruit
I changed the impeller and still no water. I can feel air coming out of the tell tale hole do, I have a bad seal somewhere?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 7.5 mercury (no water pumping)

are the impeller vanes turned the right way?

308user

Recruit

they are pointing counter clock is this correct

emckelvy

Commander

It doesn't matter what way the vanes on a new impeller were pointing when you installed them, as soon as you run the motor they'll curve around the right way anyway.

You might want to pull the lower unit again and try running a water supply up the water tube. You'll know for sure if water will circulate in the powerhead. You can also blow air up the water tube to see if it forcefully blows out the water discharge in middle of the exhaust tower (aka center section or 'leg'). See if you get any discharge out the telltale.

Couple of things that keep these from circulating water if the pump is good; squeezed-off upper water tube grommet, which requires removal of the powerhead to replace; and silt buildup in the block's water passages. The latter is fixed by removing the back cover over the spark plugs (this is not a cyl head, just a water jacket cover). Then clean out accumulated deposits.

Note the bolts holding the cover on may be stuck, use PB Blaster and careful application of heat from a propane or MAPP torch to help loosen these bolts. Don't force or they will snap. Caution PB is flammable so wipe away any excess before torching!!!

Something to do before 'biting the bullet' and removing the powerhead would definitely be taking off the back cover, then putting water up the tube to see if it comes out the block. Also a good way to flush 'trash' out of the cooling system. If you get no water out of the block this way, it's a sure bet the powerhead grommet is squeezed-shut.

To pull the powerhead, disconnect any interfering wires/hoses/linkages on the motor, and the powerhead retaining nuts around the lower circumference of the block. Around 4 per side if I recall.

HTH & let us know how it turns out..........ed

308user

Recruit

Ok guys I finally got time to tear into her. I replace the whole pump.
Still no water.

Had to pull the powerhead and replace the seal on the bottom where the water tube seats.

She is now peeing like a racehorse!

wbeaton

Commander

I'm glad you posted a follow up. I'm having the exact same problem. Looks like emckelvy's post has everything I was looking for.

Thanks folks.

emckelvy

Commander

I'm glad you posted a follow up. I'm having the exact same problem. Looks like emckelvy's post has everything I was looking for.

Talk about resurrecting old posts! A real Blast from the Past!!!

Glad it worked out for ya..................ed

dynamic

Cadet

My 7.5 did not seem to be pumping water either, then I read another post that said it takes 10 seconds + for water to come out. I had always shut it down before then in fear of overheating something. The next time I took it out, I let it run and it seemed like forever, probably 10 - 15 seconds, but it started pumping thereafter and I have not had a problem since.