Mercury outboard overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

RICH TAYLOR

Recruit
Re: Mercury outboard overheating

Have same problem with 2005 150 crab been chasing the problem for 5 years. Only sounds alarm about 10 mile an hour. Runs fine at slow trolling speed and up on plane. Olny when i push a had idle i get the alarm. I have done every thing but the gaskets. Talked to the dealer and they suggested to lower the motor as far as possiblie. That seemed to help a little. This year i have been hearing a tube clunking sound just above the lower uint when i trim up to trailer. That takes me back to the exhaust tube and gaskets. Sounds like all these 05 have same problems.

danspi

Recruit

For Fuel Rail issues, I would check with ThePelicanServcies.com
I replaced a Fuel Regulator Diaphram in my 225 Opti using one of their Diaphrams. I had issues with idleing and hard starting. Took to my dealer and said everything checks out. Finally found a leaking fuel diaphram. After checking online, I found that I DID NOT have to buy a NEW fuel rail...pelican services sells regulator diaphrams by themselves. I saved $1100...

Flying_Lavey

Recruit

Have same problem with 2005 150 crab been chasing the problem for 5 years. Only sounds alarm about 10 mile an hour. Runs fine at slow trolling speed and up on plane. Olny when i push a had idle i get the alarm. I have done every thing but the gaskets. Talked to the dealer and they suggested to lower the motor as far as possiblie. That seemed to help a little. This year i have been hearing a tube clunking sound just above the lower uint when i trim up to trailer. That takes me back to the exhaust tube and gaskets. Sounds like all these 05 have same problems.

The tube clunking is more than likely the copper discharge tube that takes the water from the water pump up into the engine block. It either was not properly lined up the last time the lower unit was removed or, the plastic alignment tube has been welted (happened to mine before) and the copper tube is falling out of it when trimmed up and also hampering your cooling efficiency.

1nebel0

Chief Petty Officer

Guys, you missed it a couple of threads up..Biker Ben hit it...While everybody wants to change the poppet valve it doesn't come into play until 2500 rpm or so.....Thermostats are important as I can show you what happens to a 200h.p EFI when you take them out.. I will save that for another post...Its called"Cold Seize" and cost my friend a piston....Back to the problem...In order to insure that your exhuast cavity on the motor is clear you need to remove the many bolts that hold this plate on and clean out the sludge that will be there. I can assure you that if you have any corrison at all, you will snap the bolts off and have more things to deal with... Heat them up to remove and good luck.. would love to here from those that this works for. My good friend had a problem with one bank heating up that drove us mad until we broke and got the cover off to see the problem, just my 2cents..............

robaloroger

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This thread started in 2006 and was hijacked multiple times. Why dont you start a new thread with your issues.

johnboy50

Recruit

hi i new to iboats form! so after reading about outboards overheating I think my problem is stats.I have mercury 2005 60 EFI temp starts rising only at idle.NOR temp around 130-135 but at idle it quickly starts rising till alarm sounds around 175 180 .However if i rev engine above 1100 rpm temp quickly starts to drop to normal . So I have no problem as long as I not just sitting there idling.My question is how do change stats where are they located. I have already changed pump impeller and flushed and back flushed motor ever time i use it .I"d like to change stats instead of having to let it sit in shop for several weeks during summer. I"be thankful for any help.

j_martin

Admiral

Hi Johnboy50
Being new here, the first thing you need to do is read the notice at the top of this forum. You just violated every edict in it.

j_martin

Admiral

Huh, he!!. Pay attention.

Announcement:
-------------DO NOT reply to old threads or hi-jack new or old threads. Your reply WILL be DELETED. The old threads are for your information only when doing a search, and should not be resurrected. Click on this Announcement for further details.

Don S (Moderator)

wired247

Lieutenant Commander
EDIT - Deleted the deleted post - :mod:

:kev:

You know I was looking for the face palm smiley but this one seemed more appropriate and less appropriate at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator:

DPForumDog

Cadet
I wish folks would stop complaining about folks hijacking this thread. I am glad they continued this thread. It would have been very hard to garner all this information if it was on 10 different threads.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I wish folks would stop complaining about folks hijacking this thread. I am glad they continued this thread. It would have been very hard to garner all this information if it was on 10 different threads.

It will no longer be hijacked. Nor continued! Can't you just read it without commenting? After more than 14 years, it is well past our 90 days of inactivity rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.