Motor just clicks when trying to start?? HELP

bsh21wash

Petty Officer 1st Class
I put a fully charged battery in the boat, try to start and it just clicks, put a different battery in, just clicks. Starter wont engage, nothing. Any suggestions

suskyducker

Recruit
Re: Motor just clicks when trying to start?? HELP

I had a similar problem at one time. I sprayed the starter gear with WD 40 and moved up and down by hand has worked fine ever since. Its worth a shot.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

with the key turned off, very carefully take a jumper cables, ground the motor to battery, connect the red jumper to battery, the touch it to the big red lead on the starter. the starter should engage. if it does then the starter is good,, could be solenoid. dirty corroded connections, bad ignition swicth, or mouse chewed wires.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You may have installed a good battery but you may not have good cable connections. Step 1 is to make sure both ends of both the positive and negative cables are clean and tight. Make sure there is no corrosion where the cable enters the terminals on each cable. Cut them off and install new ends or replace the cables if necessary. Corrosiion represents resistance to current flow. Using a voltmeter or test light, have somehone turn the key to START while you measure voltage at the larger terminal on the starter solenoid that feeds the starter. If there is no voltage at that terminal, and you have good cables and a good battery, you have a bad solenoid. Just make sure the cables are ok before throwing money at parts. Do the obvious stuff first.

tashasdaddy

silvertip is right. a nick in a cable can also cause it to corrode from the inside . if there are any irregular buldges investigate them.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Check the connections, and run a bit of oil down the shaft. I had the same problem last year and lubricating the shaft resolved it.

Xavier

Cadet

Is there a neutral safety switch out of whack? Make sure you are in neutral. Try running it through the gears a couple times and see if it starts. Possibly a little WD-40 on it could help.

tashasdaddy

you would not get the click it the neutral switch was not engaged.

bsh21wash

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for you help guys, I'll take a shot at it today, need to get the boat out its HOT

bsh21wash

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I checked my cables and the neg seemed fine but the postive, was really corrorded at the battery end. I cut the end off and it looked all rusted inside. Can I get a new cable from the local auto supply??

bsh21wash said:
I put a fully charged battery in the boat, try to start and it just clicks, put a different battery in, just clicks. Starter wont engage, nothing. Any suggestions

it's the celinoid mine did that

its the solenoid mine did that the other day it would click 1 time every time you turn the key over

deejaycee_2000

Captain

I had the same problem, changed the battery terminals and all was good, and they didn't even look corroded, but hey it worked ....

papasage

Senior Chief Petty Officer

all the above could be the probablem . yess you can git a cable at auto parts store .