HOW FAST SHOULD MY 60 HP GO ?

fptmarion

Recruit
I GOT A 2004 60 HP FOUR STROKE EFI BIGFOOT. HOW FAST SHOULD IT GO, ITS ON A 20'PONTOON.<br />I GET ABOUT 18 MPH AT 5000 RPMS,IS THAT ABOUT RIGHT.THANKS I THINK THE RPMS ARE HIGH, WHAT CAN I DO TO GET MORE SPEED.

sleepinin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: HOW FAST SHOULD MY 60 HP GO ?

I found that if you go to Mercury's Website and then to their prop selector program you can enter your boat weight, motor, prop and it'll spit out your top speed. I did mine and it was accurate within a half mile per hour. Mine is a deep vee bottom and I don't recall if the pontoon is different, there may be a pontoon option. It'll also give you some options for a different prop and what they will produce as far as top end speed.

sleepinin

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I went and plugged your boat in with the basic info of length and motor and it said 22.2mph was the top speed.

studlymandingo

Commander

Welcome to iboats!!!<br /><br />Pontoons are not notorious for being speed demons, they are more of a "take a bunch of people on a cruise around the lake" kind of watercraft. Most that I've passed with a 60 HP or similar seemed to be going about 18 or so.<br /><br />Sit back and enjoy your cruise!!! Find a buddy with a speedier boat if you want to do some watersports, everyone else can hang out on the 'toon while others take turns on the wakeboard! That's not a bad deal!