Mercontrol Shifter and harnesses for 1970 mercury

Bleys19

Cadet
1970 Mercury outboard, 50hp<br /><br />Need new shifter, throttle, shift cables and Harnesses for my 1970 mercury engine. <br />How would i tell what shifter today would work with my Engine and it must have a key start right, and how would i hook up the New Harnesses to this shifter box?<br />What type of shift /throttles cabels? Read about different types of cable, 3300 or etc.

sport15

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Mercontrol Shifter and harnesses for 1970 mercury

How many pins on the connector on the engine end? I found online the 8 pin connector and I think it was 20 feet of harness for $250 and about had a stroke. Google "mercury boat wire harness" and you should find the wire..<br /><br />I also found side mounts listed at hamiltonmarine.com.. What type of mount do you need?<br /><br />Make sure when you ask about cables that you tell who you get them from they will go an a mercury not OMC, apparently there is a differance.<br /><br />Good luck!

Bleys19

Cadet

I don't know what side mount i will need, i know i had a mercontrol shifter (1970) and i also don't know how to tell what one i will need if buy new. can't seem to find anything on wires i have that say numbers/info on them.

ricksrster

Commander

If you buy a new control, you can get an adapter for the wiring harness so you can plug it in your motor.

Bleys19

Cadet

Rick, I can buy the same wiring harness that i need for the engine so how would i connect that to the new control? You talking about a adapter for engine or controler? My mercontrol seem like it was built into the Wiring Harness that goes to the Engine. So that what confusing me the most.

ricksrster

Commander

On the new controls there is a harness attached. The end plug is different from what you need. The adapter harness has an end that plugs into the new harness and the other end of the adapter harness plugs into your motor.

Bleys19

Cadet

So will i still need a old sytle harnesses or just a adapter harness that hooks into motor and controler and What Adapter Harness would i need?

ricksrster

Commander

A new adapter, which is actually a short harness with the new style of plug on one end and the old style on the other. It justs plugs on the new style harness. CDI/Rapair makes them or you can get one from a mercury dealer. The CDI would be cheaper. This is only needed if you want a new control. You still can find good used older Mercontrols at places like E-bay.

ricksrster

Commander

I'll show pictures of my set up to show you in a little while.

ricksrster

Commander

OK, Here's pictures. The first one is the new control. It came with 15' harness attached through the back.
HarnessSetup002.jpg
Next is the end of the harness at the back of the boat. The male plug is from the control harness and the female plug is on the adapter harness.<br />
HarnessSetup004.jpg
Next picture is hooked together. A wire clip was supplied with the adapter to hold them together. I got the mercury Adapter harness.<br />
HarnessSetup003.jpg
Next picture is the end of the adapter harness that connects to the motor.<br />ket.com/albums/a258/Palmer54/HarnessSetup001.jpg[/IMG]<br />It plugs in the side of the motor like this<br />
HarnessSetup005.jpg

Bleys19

Cadet

So what type of controler would i need? Just one with a key start or would i need other items with it?

ricksrster

Commander

you can get a mercury controller.Or you can get a controller that just shifts and runs the throttle. With the one that just shifts and throttle you can put a key with push choke in the dash. you can find the correct harness you need for the key switch from E-bay or elsewhere.

Bleys19

Cadet

How should i fiqure out if have power trim?

ricksrster

Commander

back at yor motor, there will be a pump with hoses going to hydralic cylinders to tilt your motor.

Bleys19

Cadet

What info on the adapter so i know what to ask for or look up?

ricksrster

Commander

CDI makes an after market one available on line, but I don't know where. I bought mine from a local merc. dealer. I don't know the part no. but it is the adapter harness for hooking up a new control to an older motor.

tgarrettiii

Recruit

1970 Mercury outboard, 50hp<br /><br />Need new shifter, throttle, shift cables and Harnesses for my 1970 mercury engine. <br />How would i tell what shifter today would work with my Engine and it must have a key start right, and how would i hook up the New Harnesses to this shifter box?<br />What type of shift /throttles cabels? Read about different types of cable, 3300 or etc.

I am having the same issue. Did you ever get this resolved and if so what did you do?