Mariner Ignition choke button switch

billynjuls

Seaman Apprentice
This forum has always helped me immensely in the past so I hope you guys can again. I have a 1978 Mariner 80 HP outboard ser # 4843369. The choke is not working. It is a push button style on top of the control box. I have checked the wire for breaks and it has good continuity. When I check for continuity on the 2 terminals on the choke switch when depressed, I get good continuity. When I check for voltage at the choke solenoid I get 0 volts with the ignition on and the button pushed. If I hook up a 12V battery directly to the choke solenoid it works so I know the solenoid is good. I bought a new ignition switch today and the back of my ignition switch has 5 terminals that get hooked up. <br />A = Red wire<br />B = Yellow wire<br />D = Black wire<br />E = Orange wire<br />F = White wire.<br /><br />Where I'm confused is, looking at the wiring diagram, I can't tell if the red wire (power) is jumped to another terminal as well. When I look at the diagram I'm not really seeing where the choke would get it's power from. The only wires connected to the choke switch are a white one and the gray that runs straight to the solenoid. Would it need to be jumped from the red to the white one on the ignition switch to get power? Sorry this post is so long but my patience are running out with this. Can someone tell me how to post the picture of my wire diagram here? I have it saved on my desktop. Thanks for all of your help.<br /><br />Billy

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mariner Ignition choke button switch

Billy, The choke switch gets power from the accessory terminal(white wire) of the ignition switch. However, I would forst check the quick disconnect plug at the motor for voltage when the choke button is pushed. If you do not have voltage, look for a wire break in that harness. If you have voltage, check continuity on the corresponding pin on the motor connector and the solenoid grey wire.