Mercury Mark 28 - Where's the Impeller Located?

jkeller

Recruit
I am by no means a mechanic. This is my first boat motor which I inherited from my grandfather. It's a 1958 Kiekhaefer Mercury Mark 28 (Super Hurricane). The motor has been in storage since the mid '80s and most definitely will need the water impeller replaced (that's about he extent of my outboard knowledge). I removed the two nuts under the cavitation plate and finally found the hidden nut (behind the vent screw plate on the tower) and was able to remove the lower unit which was pretty easy. Looking at the top of the lower unit, there is a bevel gear fitted on a bronze sleeve protruding out of a large bearing seated in a metal cylindrical tower all of which extends about 2 to 3 inches above the top of the lower unit. When I turn the prop shaft, the bevel gear rotates accordingly. I tried to pull out the metal tower assembly (gear and all), but it doesn't seem to want to cooperate. Is this where the impeller is hiding (inside the lower unit)? Also, what else needs to be done while I have the lower unit off? Also, the starter recoil assembly is either incomplete or beyond repair (not to mention I found a regular threaded nut was used on the reverse threaded post to mount it to the cowl). Where can I find some assembly diagrams for this stuff? The library maybe? :confused:

Laddies

Banned
Re: Mercury Mark 28 - Where's the Impeller Located?

The impeller is above the shift springs and takes 2 speical tools to replace the tools are NLA and most marinas won't do the repair, with luck someone may lend you the tools. You will probable wind up hating them for it but will understand why no one will do the job

jkeller

Recruit

Where are the shift springs? Is that in the tower unit where I removed the panel with the vent screw in it?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

go to oldmercs.com and get a manual.

jkeller

Recruit

Wow. They want $50 for that manual. I know, that's cheaper than Mercury and some others who sell it for $75. Would a library cary something like this or is there a cheaper solution. Thats more than I spent on some of my engineering text books.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

$50 for a manual for a 41 year old engine is a cheap tool, to keep you from screwing up a good motor. and the cost to get a mechanic to straighten out what you done. by the way welcome to i boats. i have a '55 15 hp evinrude that runs like new. the manual is a critical tool as there are not a lot of people still around to work on them.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

If there was EVER a motor that REQUIRES the OEM manual, it's the Mark 28 (and related automatic transmission motors). They were tricky even for the trained mechanics! <br /><br />Keep an eye on eBay for the tools. Even if you don't win the auction, sometimes the winner MIGHT be willing to either lend you the tools, or possbly do the work for you if they're near enough. If you're looking around your area for someone to help - look for the longer established marinas. Even a Mom-n-Pop type outfit might be able to help. Skip the squeaky clean kid at the front counter and seek out the gray haired guy out back with grease under his nails and a "colorful" vocabulary. Once you spend some time working on the Mark 28 you'll know where the vocabulary came from...<br /><br />- Scott

wyliek

Cadet

Jkeller did you figure this out?? How did you do it? I was recently given a Mark 28a in excellent condition, hadn't been run since 1996 and started right up with fresh gas this past saturday! Only problem is water isn't flowing ....I have a spare impeller just getting to disassembly this weekend