1969 Mercury 125 Spark Plug Problem

john licausi

Recruit
I recently acquired a 1970 Glasspar G-3 with a 69 Merc 1250 engine on it and was able to simply change the spark plugs and fire it up during the winter. The engine seemed to run fine. Since then, I changed the Mercontrol lever to the new chrome lever that Overtons carries. I pulled the key switch out of the Mercontrol and mounted it on my dash.<br /><br />I am now turning the key and the engine is turning over, but there is no spark at the spark plugs. I am not sure what I did. The engine is moving, it is just not igniting. Any help is appreciated.

roger3645

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1969 Mercury 125 Spark Plug Problem

Was the battery disconnected when you changed the key switch around? CHeck the switch box with a volt meter. You should have power to the red post with the battery connected and power to the white post with the key on.

john licausi

Recruit

Thank you for your help. The battery was disconnected. I never actually changed the wiring on the switch or anything like that. I simply unscrewed the Mercontrol box and pulled the key switch out and screwed it as is onto the dash. I didn't cut a single wire. I simply removed the switch and cluster of wires from the Mercontrol. All wires remain in tact from the key switch to the plug connecting to the engine.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

what did you do with the neutral switch.

john licausi

Recruit

I found the problem. It was the actual starter switch. Some wires were bad. She purs now!!! Thanks for the help. It is appreciated!

phatmanmike

Captain

the nuetral safet switch wont kill out the ignition, it kills out the starter selenoid.<br /><br />glad to here ya got it!<br /><br />now go get a danmed manual!!!