Lower Unit Neoprene Washers/Vent-Drain

Gerny

Recruit
Hi Guys,<br /> Wondering if anyone can tell me how to get<br /> new Neoprene washers for my 1986 35 HP<br /> Mercury engine. Getting water in the lower<br /> unit. Tried some O-Rings from the Auto<br /> parts store and they helped a little..<br /> but not good enough. I need them for the vent<br /> and drain (duh..guess the subject explains that!)<br /><br /> Thanks for any help!

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Lower Unit Neoprene Washers/Vent-Drain

Welcome. Dealer will have them or here at iboats if you prefer...<br /><br /><br /> web page

Gerny

Recruit

Thanks for the info Rick! I tried iboats 'search' but really couldn't hone in on just what those two<br />washers were. Looked like I'd be forced to buy a whole kit or something. I would prefer to mail order them as the nearest Dealer is 50 or so miles away. Some folks have told me to<br />"make my own washers" but I really don't like that idea.<br /><br />Thanks again for the info.. And anyone else..Please advise if you want or can.. Thanks!<br /><br />Joe

Gerny

Recruit

Oh man.. I'm so sorry! I didn't see the link you provided, Rick.. Thanks so much. Honest, Really appreciate your help.<br /><br />Joe

Gerny

Recruit

Originally posted by Gerny:<br /> Oh man.. I'm so sorry! I didn't see the link you provided, Rick.. Thanks so much. Honest, Really appreciate your help.<br /><br />Joe
Sorry to be a pain.. but I just looked at the link and this seems to look like my VENT plug and is listed for the Merc crusier.. though it's listed as the drain plug. I need both the vent and drain plug washers for an 86 35 HP engine.<br />My drain plug is a lot smaller than this.<br /><br />Thanks again..<br /><br />Joe

gss036

Commander

Check with Boaters World or West Marine, they carry all that kind of stuff. Both washers should be the same size. I have never seen a motor that used neoprene "O" rings, usually just flat paper type washers.

ob

Admiral

gssO36.Many of the older lower units used "o" rings that fit into an undercut on the back side of the screw plug.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

A few thoughts - first, the washers are probably fiber, not neoprene. I've tried to make do with neoprene and they just don't work. Second, like ob said, they "could" be O rings, but O rings require a groove in the surface of the plug to hold them in place. If you try to use an O ring with a smooth flat plug surface, they will distort and not seal.<br /><br />Check oldmercs.com they probably have your seal, or try the mercruiser.com site - or your local dealer! All will probably need your serial number to make sure they get you the right washers. I used one of the above and was able to buy washers for fairly cheap, but they aren't dirt cheap, as you'd expect.

Motor Boater Bill

Chief Petty Officer

Last time I bought them, the big one was fifty cents, the little one was two bucks. Go figure.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

Yea, MMB - Iseem to remember the same thing, the large one was reasonable cost, the little one almost ridiculously expensive. I bought 1/2 doz of each anyway because I have been told to change them every time