1962 Kiekhaefer Mercury Merc 60 6hp

bigmac50

Recruit
Having problems with this old reliable outboard. Had been running great until last fishing trip. It started fine but will not throttle up, just kinda putts in gear. Turn it off and wait awhile and it may run good for just a minute or two and then goes back to doing the same thing. Everything appears to be OK inside but I have noticed gas dripping off the bottom of carb. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Motor Boater Bill

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1962 Kiekhaefer Mercury Merc 60 6hp

Could be a bad coil, I had this problem with my 1962 Merc 110. Run it until the problem starts, then pull one spark plug wire at a time. If pulling one plug wire does nothing, that cylinder isn't firing. Of course, check points and condenser also. You could swap condensors and see if the problem moves to the other cylinder. If not, then it's probably the coil. Available at oldmercs.com. <br /><br />If removing the plug wires one at a time doesn't reveal the problem, then it may be fuel. Try pumping the bulb when it bogs down and see if that helps. If so, it may be the fuel pump.<br /><br />Let us know how it goes.

bigmac50

Recruit

Thanks Bill, I'll check that out. About the bulb, if I pump the bulb while it's running it goes dead. That's why I thought it maybe the carb.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

I'd disassemble the carb and check for a sticking needle/float. Sounds like it's letting too much fuel through, as is apperent when you pump the bulb and it dies....Clean all the passages as well while you're in there...

Motor Boater Bill

Chief Petty Officer

Yup, if it dies when you pump the bulb your float valve is definitely not working properly. This could be source of the problem or it may be in addition to electrical problems. Checking for spark is still a good idea, but be careful if you have gas leaking for sure!!! Fix the carb, and take it from there.