Shifter linkage problem Mercury 7.5

Steve Chapman

Recruit
I have a very good running Mercury 7.5. That is until I took it out of the garage to get it ready for fishing today. Started great, but wouldn't shift right. When it would go into forward gear, it would not throttle up beyond the start mode. Reverse was no problem. Also would not produce a water stream from the pump. Shut it down and dropped lower unit. Impeller was destroyed (New last year). Once the unit was loosened up, the shifter and throttle seemed to function properly. (Not running the engine) Then when I bolted the lower unit back up, it went back to the same throttle/shifting problems. Any ideas on this? Thanks.

Laddies

Banned
Re: Shifter linkage problem Mercury 7.5

Usally when a engine does not shift properly. but does with the unit droped a little the problem is in the rev. lock system

Steve Chapman

Recruit

Thanks. What or where do I look to find the rev lock system? Is it linkage or internal? Thanks a lot.

Laddies

Banned

The rev. lock is the fingers that engage the tili pin to hold the unit down when shifting into rev. follow the linkage to the cam that engages it there should be a adjustment, sometimes the cam gets worn. With out a serial number or year it's hard to go beond simple advice

Steve Chapman

Recruit

Hey, thanks again. The serial number is 4398398. Have been trying to find a blowup drawing to guide me, but can't even find a manual in a store around here. Oh yeah, what exactly is a "tili" pin? You don't know how much I appreciate the info. Semper Fi!