1998 Mercury 15 HP....Tohatsu???

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1998 Mercury 15 HP....Tohatsu???

I don't think so. I just looked at a '97 Merc catalog and 6hp up were made by Merc in Fondulac. It's easy to tell the difference. The tomato engines look different, have no gearshift, and fuel is integral. Merc built look like Mercs, have gearshift, remote fuel and thru prop exhaust to name a few.<br /><br />Mark

T_I_M

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The 1998 15 hp 4 stroke Merc is actually a Yamaha P/H on a Mec mid section.Starting in 2005 the Mercury 9.9 are Tohatsu and the 15hp are still Yammy.In 2007 the 15hp Merc will be a light weight just like the 9.9.All Mercury 9.9 and 15 2 strokes up to the last year they made them (2005) are all Merc.

captainmack

Cadet

Whoa.... you know your motors... thanks you guys... this 15 is a 2 stroke.... still a yammy?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Hey T-I-M<br /><br />What's the origin of your information? Most authoritative sources of information, in professional circles, supply references as to how it is that they got so smart, giving credit where credit is due........and all.<br /><br />Mark

T_I_M

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well turning wrenches for 15 years and now working in a managerial position ,talking to our tech/sales reps ,going to service schools working boat shows and generally sticking my nose in where it don't belong.I been on and off this board a few times over the years but I'm usually to busy to sit down and add my input and very rarely add on if the question has been answered by the previous poster.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

T-I-M<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />It helps to know something about the source of your information before you go following it. Some folks might unknowingly steer you off in the wrong direction (like me for example.....with some of my guessing.....but I do state that I'm guessing when I do) and that may cost you (the reader) time and money.<br /><br />So, something about me. I am a retired electrical engineer having worked in an electro and mechanical environment for a fortune 500 company for 36 years. Have been boating since the early 50's and do 99% of my own work. I currently farm (small scale) and have a collection of not too old tractors, having restored half of them, run a few cows, and play with my new tin lizzie bass boat. <br /><br />Largest boat was a Starcraft 18' Holiday I/O. Did a complete, and I mean complete, restoration down to the smallest, a 1.7 thing a ma bob (can't remember the name....but a very crude engine). Currently in a 17' tin bass boat with a 90 hp Merc.<br /><br />In my career the engineering mentality caused me to think about why's and wherefor's. Why is that where it is, what will it affect, what happens if you do this to it type of thing. So I am/have been trained to ask questions. Sorry, just can't break (a good) habit.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Mark

T_I_M

Petty Officer 3rd Class

First off, sorry CaptainMack I didn't mean to hijack this thread . <br /> <br /><br /><br />No problem Mark , and I thought of what I type last night in the 2 posts may have came across the wrong way and I didn't want them to. As you can see from the amount of my posts/registered date I don't have alot of extra time to spend here , so before this becomes a big sappy love feast :D Thanks and I hope to contribute more.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Moving right along. Grin<br />Mark