1987 Mercury 45 HP

geerox

Recruit
I had the motor running. Running GREAT!! I cut it off, tried to crank it....nothing. I removed the cover and watched...The starter would come up and stop. The motor would not do anything. I took the starter and had it checked. Said it was in excellent shape. Any suggestions as to why it isn't turning over? It is doing nothing!! This motor has never given any trouble.......... :confused:

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1987 Mercury 45 HP

First thing to do is check battery voltage. Then the connections at the battery, Grounds at the battery and block and selenoid hot wires.If ok, jump straight to the starter from the battery and see if it spins...........

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

Stupid question, but can you turn the flywheel by hand?

geerox

Recruit

Not a stupid question. No, it can not be turned by hand. I checked the battery and all connections. All seem fine. <br /><br />Thanks for the replies!!

Boatwizard

Seaman

Did you take the spark plugs out and see if it will turn by hand? It can sometimes pull water in the engine and hydraulic lock. Or a badly flooding carb or leaking fuel pump will lock a cylinder.<br />Did the starter make a noise kind of like a weird but not very loud squeal? That noise usually means it's trying to turn an engine that won't turn, or your starter is trying to run on only 3 brushes, or the battery voltage is dropping from a bad battery or a bad cable or connection.<br />First, charge battery and clean connections, check connections at solenoid and starter.<br />Then you may want to try,<br />1 Take the plugs out and see if it turn free by hand.<br />2 Pump primer bulb to check to see if it's flooding or fuel pump leaking into engine through pulse hoses.<br />3 Put plugs in and try to start. Check voltage at battery post and also at starter to see if it's dropping.<br /><br />Be sure to look at plugs to check for water pressence. Those moters rarely pull water back in.

geerox

Recruit

The battery and starter are fine. I poured a VERY small amount of transmission fluid into the spark plug holes last night hoping it would free it up, but to no avail. The flywheel will move about 2 inches and that's all. This motor has always run great, but now nothing. Any help or suggestions is most appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks in advance!!

geerox

Recruit

Oh yeah, When I removed the spark plugs, it still would not turn.

MercFan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Can you verify that the LU is in neutral?<br /><br />But this problem sounds expensive...

geerox

Recruit

The prop will spin. If I put it in gear, it will not spin. I am leaning towards the fact that the LU is locked up. Anyone agree or have anything else that it may be??<br /><br />Thanks a lot!!

MercFan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm out of my depth here... I have no idea how to check if the LU is locked it the power unit may be seized. Only way I can think is to drop the LU and then check them seperately.