Mariner 115 HP 1998 carbuerated 2 stroke keeps bogging out

pasquale1968

Cadet
Hello all again this is my second topic that i am posting. My 19 galaxie keeps bogging down when i get under way its really strange because if i put it in neutral and nail the throttle it kind of clears up for a few minutes and i can get my boat to plane off for awhile and it keeps on repeating this ac. So far i have changed the fuel and tried using some solvents to clean out the carbs but it still doing the same thing any suggestions would be great <br />Thanx<br /> pasquale968

MercFan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Mariner 115 HP 1998 carbuerated 2 stroke keeps bogging out

Hiya again Pasq!<br /><br />Hope some of the other guys with more experience help you out here, but here's my 2c<br /><br />Check your fuel line from tank to pump. Might be drawing air in.<br />When it boggs down, feel your primer bulb, is it stiff?<br />And then I'm basically out of my depth...<br />The rest of the advice I can offer is basics... Plugs, lost spark, earths.<br /><br />And I'm sure someone will recommend a carb rebuild if you can't get it right. Because you might have a stuck float that's flooding the engine and you havta nail it a bit to clear it up, get on plane, then it simply floods again.<br /><br />Oh yes... To kinda test your float operation... Before your first start you should be able to pump your bulb very stiff. No fuel must be draining from the carbs.<br /><br />And to kinda check if you have a air leak in you fuel line... You should start the motor, drive around for a bit... Do a shutdown for a coupla mins and restart without having to reprime. The fuel will run from your fuel line back to tank, but if you have and air leak it'll do so much faster and you'll haveto reprime.<br /><br />Hopefully the pro's will correct me where I'm wrong and put you on the trail again :)

pasquale1968

Cadet

Hey Merc<br />Whats up i can tell me and you are gonna get along great. okay heres what i have done I purchased a spare 6 gallon tank with a new fuel attachment,It still bogged Thought it might have been water in fuel tank. As far as a float isaw the bottom carb spewing fuel took it apart and corrected it.changed primer buld twice i'm about to pick up a rebuild kit for the fuel pump as well. and see how that works out even if it aint that at least i know it wont be this seasons problem <br />Thanx Again P1968

MercFan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Pasq,<br /><br />Can you run it continiously at 1500 rpm? What happens if you nurse it up? Does it die anyway? Or does it only bogg out when you try a hole shot?<br /><br />Get sum1 to go with you... Try to nurse it up, if it wants to die on you, back off the throttle and keep it running. Now have your pal pump the primer bulb and just keep it stiff. As he's doing this try nursing it up again and see if you can get past that spot on the rev counter.<br /><br />If that helps you've got a fuel starvation problem. Could be on the suction side that you've already checked or a stuck float. But floats usually get stuck in the open position, not closed. <br /><br />Might be time to replace the fuel pump diaphrams.

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

If pumping the primer bulb saves the engine from falling on its face, the fuel pump needs a rebuild. If not, its most likely time for a carb cleaning. Get some gaskets kits and carb cleaner. Spray out all orfices with compressed air and reassemble with the new gaskets.<br /><br />Good luck

pasquale1968

Cadet

Merc it tends to do it when the boat starts to bounce around in the wake, but when i lower down throttle she'll idle and then i'll punch it again and it repeats itself all over again sometimes it will die out and i'll wait a few minutes and then she'll start rite up and go for awhile and do it again. ? were are the high speed needles located on the carbs<br />Pasquale1968

pasquale1968

Cadet

andy<br />That is what i'll be doing this morning rebuilding the fuel pump and carbs. <br />being that i'm not really a mechanic once i rebuild the carbs how hard is it to sync them all back together<br />Thanx<br />Pasquale1968

MercFan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, I cracked a fuel pump casing today, so I don't think anyone should ask me for advice ;P<br /><br />Your engine is unfortunately a bit newish for Calm's link and sync post, but it'll probably get you damn close. I'd suggest, check you timing before touching anything. Idle, 1st pickup (If your motor has such a thing), and max advance. 1st throttle is where your carbs just start opening. It's different from idling, believe me.<br /><br />Rebuild your pumps and carbs. And if the problem presists, check that fuel primer bulb. There's a wealth of info in how it feels when the motor is running. And how the motor reacts when you pump it while its running.<br /><br />I'm gonna bump it, so look for it close to the to the top.

MercFan

Petty Officer 1st Class

By the way... Bouncing = Dieing could possibly be some **** bouncing in tank and blocking the suction.

kalbee

Recruit

Hello all again this is my second topic that i am posting. My 19 galaxie keeps bogging down when i get under way its really strange because if i put it in neutral and nail the throttle it kind of clears up for a few minutes and i can get my boat to plane off for awhile and it keeps on repeating this ac. So far i have changed the fuel and tried using some solvents to clean out the carbs but it still doing the same thing any suggestions would be great <br />Thanx<br /> pasquale968

Don't forget your oil tank cap is vented but you have to turn it to the vent position. I had the same problem I turned the cap to vent position, problem solved. Just a thought.