water pump 25hp mercury

tontom

Recruit
I am trying to replace the impeller on my 25hp<br />mercury outboard. ser# 06621420<br /><br />I can not get the lower unit off. Took off 4 bolts it starts to come off but I cant release the shift rod. <br /><br />Is there a trick??<br /><br />I would like to know all the steps to this job please.<br /><br />Thank You

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: water pump 25hp mercury

You probably should invest in a manual,preferably one from Merc.I hate when we have to say this,but it will give you a better understanding of what is involved.<br /><br />The shift connection is up top at the powerhead.The shift rod is about the lenghth of the driveshaft.Maybe pull the starter to get to it,maybe otherways.<br /><br />DHP

tontom

Recruit

thanks for the clue. a little detail please

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

Did you remove the bolt under the trim tab?

DHPMARINE

Captain

I don't think his motor has a nut or bolt under the trim tab.<br />DHP

tontom

Recruit

I got it. Remove the starter.. 2 bolts real easy.<br />Then a straight screw driver to remove the connection to the shift rod.. it slides apart, releasing the rod.<br /><br />No manual needed for that ??

DHPMARINE

Captain

Hey ! ! I've been wrong many times,and glad to hear you got it solved.Without a manual.<br /><br />Keep on Keeping On<br /><br />Don't drop the washer<br /><br />Good for you<br /><br />DHP

ellombris

Recruit

I seem to have simular problem. My 25 HP mercury<br />circa 1983 is not releasing the lower unit. I <br />removed link and removed screw under carb. The<br />linkage won't release. What might I be doing wrong?<br />Shifting the unit into reverse didn't help.

budman8330

Cadet

I know this isnt much help (since everything has been covered), but SERIOUSLY invest the $40 into a manual, the information is invaluable :) <br /><br />Even if you are mechanically inclinded, or you can do this or that, it will tell you where every nut/bolt/hold down/anything else is. <br /><br />Ive taken class after class on outboards, I am certified, work in a shop, and I still use the manuals ALOT. While you may understand the general operations, every motor is different and has certain procedures for loosening this, or taking that off. Its money well spent, especially if you plan on keeping the motor a while. <br /><br />Im not preaching, but I will do whatever it takes to help a fellow boater, even if its repeating a suggestion. <br /><br />Good luck man ! <br /><br />jeff

Jayomc

Cadet
This was a great help, 4 items to add,
#1 the shift rod is easy to see with no electric start
#2 once you lift the tab you need to pull the tab and attached pin straight out to separate from the shift rod
#3 needs to be said again, careful not to lose the washer down towards the foot for the shift rod.
#4 the impeller kit comes with lot of parts that are not needed.

easy enough to do, 4 hands or a floor jack really helps.