problem calibrating trim meter?

kiwimerc

Recruit
Hi there, I have a 200HP mercury outboard. I dont know what year it is, but the engine number is OC157267. (I read the FAQ's and tried to track down what year it is, but no help).. my guess is that it's around a 1994/95 model, as that was then the boat was built. <br />Any confirmation on the year would be a bonus?<br /><br /><br />Anyway the trim gauge doesn't read correctly, it only shows it as being 1/2 trimmed down when in fact it is fully down. I did a search on here and found refernce to the teleflex site which gives resistance readings for the sensor (it should be 10 - 167 ohms) I measured mine, and got 172 Ohms fully up, and 68ohms fully down, which would explain why the gauge is reading wrong. I had a look and see that there is some slots in the mounting screws for the trim sensor, so assume that this is to allow some degree of calibration, unfortunately they are hard in the direction that they need to go to correct the reading. Is there any other adjustment that I can make to the trim sensor if I remove it? (I haven't tried that in case it pops out with springs etc, and can't get it back together:)<br /><br />Another question ( I am new to outboards), there is an oily film over most of the parts of the engine underneath the cover,.. not dripping wet, just everything I touch is oily.. :confused: is this normal?

north40

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: problem calibrating trim meter?

Your engine is 1989 according to ser#. The slots are only adjustment I am aware of. The oily film is not normal unless someone has sprayed WD40 or something on it when winterizing. <br />This is commonly done.<br />Good luck,<br />Bob

kiwimerc

Recruit

Thanks for the reply Bob.<br /><br />bit disapointing to find out it's an '89, previous owner told me he bought it new when he built the boat in 95,... guess it must have been sitting on the shelf at the dealer for a looong time :)

north40

Petty Officer 1st Class

kiwi,<br /> Make sure the C is not a G. This would be more inline with 94-95.