1979 Mercury 40HP - Disconnecting Linkage, to remove motor...

TheChad

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi,<br /><br />I need to disconnect the linkage on my 1979 Mercury 40HP, so i can remove the motor from the boat, so i can fix the transom.<br /><br />How do i go about disconnecting the linkage, and please give me any tips that will aid in the removal and or reconnection of any of the linkage..<br /><br />Thanks for the help!<br /><br />-TheChad

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1979 Mercury 40HP - Disconnecting Linkage, to remove motor...

1) disconnect the positive and negative battery cables and clip any wire ties that would prevent removal of the cables when the engine is removed. 2) Disconnect the fuel line at the engine. 3) Disconnect the engine electrical harness at the engine. 4)The throttle and gearshift cables attach to the linkage at the engine. Disconnect the end of each cable where it attaches to the linkage. Then remove the cable itself from its anchor. 5) With some sort of lifting device in place (block & tackle, engine hoist, etc., remove the four mounting bolts and lift the engine off the transom. If you need more detail than that, you also need a service manual specific to your engine. If the cables were adjusted properly prior to engine removal, they should be ok when its reinstalled. PROVIDED -- nobody has turned the threaded anchors on the cables.

TheChad

Petty Officer 1st Class

What is the proper way to disconnect the steering from the engine?<br /><br />Also Incase anyone reading knows... Is there a way to adjust the steering when I reinstall it? My engine turn's plenty 1 direction, and hardly at all in the other..<br /><br />Thanks!<br /><br />-TheChad

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Remove the nut that secures the steering link to the end of the steering cable. Loosen the large nut at the opposite side of the tilt tube and pull the cable out of the tilt tube.