1984 mercury 50 wiring

Steven Ard

Cadet
can anyone tell me if there is a wiring diagram available online for the tilt/trim. It is a 1984 mercury 50 hp 3 cyl.

Steven Ard

Cadet
Re: 1984 mercury 50 wiring

it has 4 wires coming out of the ignition/ throttel lever box. the colors are brown, purple, light green and green. the brown wire is hanging loose by the tilt pump. i cant see where it goes. the tilt/trim just clicks when u use the switch but i can cross the solinoids and make it work. can anyone help me figure this out.

inohv8

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Green or green/white is trim up, Blue or blue with white is trim down.they go from throttle button to relays usually mounted on power head.<br />There should be more wires coming from the box than 4, The manual I am looking at looks like it has 6 plus the two for trim. which are seperate from the connector.

inohv8

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry. I had another look at your memo .. since the the wire is hanging loose at the pump, one can assume that the wire burnt off or got disconnected from the pump motor, both wires get reversed for up and reversed again for down. if you cross the solinoids, it may be getting the ground from the engine.

Steven Ard

Cadet

Thanks for the help. The 4 wires i mentioned are not the only wires coming from the box. There is others but i know where they go. I think the brown wire that is hanging loose is the only reason the switch doesn't work. The wire still has the terminal ring on the end and it is not burnt or corroded. Nothing seems to be missing from the pump, so i dont know where it goes or if it is supposed to be hooked up.