97 3cyl Mariner Fuel Pump & Oil Injection Help

My saga continues :) <br /><br />I made a previous post here: http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=29;t=019298 that lists everything I have done so far. I got some great suggestions to rebuild fuel pump and carbs. <br /><br />Last Friday I rebuilt the fuel pump with a gasket/rebuild kit (pretty darn easy) BUT... Merc's latest kits are for multiple models that are similar so you get some stuff you don't need etc. No problem... ditch the stuff I don't need (only like one big gasket) and the rest is good. Problem is.. when I took the old one apart it has two "rubber" gaskets in addition to the check valve (clear plastic jobie) and the retaining post. The "kit" I bought ONLY has the check valve and post with no rubber gaskets. The original pump had check valve, then rubber gasket, then retaining clip. New one would just be valve and clip. <br /><br />I checked the repair manual and they only show the valve and clip (no rubber) so I figured hey... must work better this way... WRONNNGGGG. I put it back together only using the clip and valve and got some weird stuff. As soon as I started it up (first time gas went through the rebuilt pump) it idle'd and ran better than ever. Quieter, almost no motor shake at all, like it was new etc. About 2 minutes later... it got all kinds of shaky and hesitant. I need to make some other adjustments so I put her in the water for a short test run. Now... it's worse than before.. if you throttle up it definitely does not seem to get a consistent flow of gas (that's the best I can explain it). It's like my old problem (slow to accelerate) but worse so I think almost all my throttle problems are from the fuel pump. At idle.. it sounds like it is trying to catch up to itself almost like a harley sounds like it is about to stall when you first start it.. which is why it is shaking more than usual.<br /><br />Question is.... now what do I do? Do I used the old rubber gaskets (I still have them and they are in good shape) or do I just rebuild it again and see if I somehow screwed something up?<br /><br />At WOT it would cut in and out like it was not getting fuel for a second.. then kick in... then out.. then in... so I STOPPED doing that immediately but at 4-5K rpm's it was like BUTTAAA.. best it has ever run.<br /><br />There is one thing I forgot in my original post in regards to "oil injection." My father (oh lord) said it was not working right so he stopped using it and started putting the oil in the gas. It's been that way for 5yrs +. On the merc website for parts... I saw a "plug" for the fuel pump for the "non oil injected" version of my engine. Since I do not use the oil injection DO I NEED THIS PLUG? Could this be the root of the problem (the root of all evil)?<br /><br />I am at the mercy of this discussion board :) Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

dakk1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 97 3cyl Mariner Fuel Pump & Oil Injection Help

Captain<br /><br />I seems that some kits contain the rubber gaskets you mentioned and some don't. Point of confusion. Some people have rebuilt pump as you did leaving them off with no problem, others had to go back and put the rubber gaskets in. I would try it with them in and see what you got.<br /><br />Dave..