25 HP Mariner Hard Starter

Gone

Petty Officer 1st Class
Has new carb. It will only start if you push the enrichment pump once with about 1/3 throttle. It'll fire up but won't run down to an idle.<br /><br />There seems to be no suction through the carb during cranking. Compression is good! Reeds look OK and no backpressure through the carb....no vacuum either as I said.<br />Is there a common problem within the cases? Crank seals?

Laddies

Banned
Re: 25 HP Mariner Hard Starter

There has to be vacume at the carb or it would not start at all, make sure you have spark on both cyl. then make sure the carb is clean and after reinstalling it do a syn and link on it making sure you have the right specs as there are several differant carbs and spec, use the wrong ones and the 25s can be bears to start--Bob

Gone

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 25 HP Mariner Hard Starter

Zactly my thoughts. If I keep tickling the enricher, it will keep running at a very fast idle as long as the gas holds out.<br />There is no vacuum even without the carb which leads me to believe that the two cylinder crankcases are leaking to each other and cancelling out the vacuum. Second handedly, I have been told that this is common in this model, perhaps even a casting problem. I need some verification before I tear into it vs replace it.