Mercury 420 (1973) -- restarting after storage

ronkley

Recruit
I've just acquired an older 40hp Mercury outboard (Model 420, Ser.#3474958)which has been sitting idle for about 5 years. (Prior owner died, so I have no way of knowing what may or may not have been done to prepare the motor for storage after it was last used.) The motor seems ok on the basis of visual inspection; compression and spark seem good; starter cranks nicely. My questions at this point are -- (1) will I do myself a favor or just hasten plug fouling if I use a 32:1 fuel mix rather than 50:1 for my first attempt to start the motor, and (2) is there anything in particular that I should check out before hooking up a fuel line and attempting to start?<br /><br />I know that there MIGHT be water pump, fuel pump, coil, carb and/or other problems after long storage, but is there any reason why I shouldn't hope for the best and give 'er a try before tearing anything apart???

dakk1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Mercury 420 (1973) -- restarting after storage

Ron<br /><br />Go ahead and fire her up. Watch your water/temp closely as after 5 years you'll definitely want a new impeller. I think 50:1 would be OK.<br /><br />Dave..

Coolmaker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Squirt some oil in the spark plug holes and spin the motor before trying to start it. That way the pistons, cyl walls and rings have some lube at startup....

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

"I know that there MIGHT be water pump, fuel pump, coil, carb and/or other problems after long storage, but is there any reason why I shouldn't hope for the best and give 'er a try before tearing anything apart??? "<br />______________________________________________________________<br /><br />After a 5 year lay-up, I would definitely replace the impeller and have the carbs cleaned, rebuild the fuel pump, replace the old gas with fresh gas and a new set of plugs before i even try to start her up.