Mercury distributor repair

mertthedog

Cadet
I need to replace the plastic advance on the top of my distributor because the used replacement distr had this piece broken off. I want to use the one off my old distr. How do I disassemble the upper or lower portions to get this plasitc ring off? Is an online photo available? Thanks. You guys were a lot of help with earlier diagnosis.

ZmOz

Captain
Re: Mercury distributor repair

Nobody can answer that question without knowing what motor you have...

Laddies

Banned

Line up the timing marks, remove the drive belt, remove the dist cap,remove the 3 wires to the trgger and the ground wire, remove the 3 bolts that attach the hsg to the engine and remove it, with the assm off remove the drive key, then bend down the lock tabs on the round nut, unscrew the nut and the hsg and related parts will drop down. Replace the lock tab with a new one before reassembly.--Bob

turkey 10k

Recruit

Hey guys, this is sort of related to this question. I replace the trigger on my 1969 merc 800 80hp 4 cylinder. I also replaced the wiring as this was the reason for the trigger replacement. The wires were dry rotted. okay, i did not mark the timing mark location on the flywheel before i removed it. I have had the engine running but it acts like the timing is off. I tried to set number 1 cylinder to tdc and the replace the flywheel so the time mark would line up with the arrow on the distributor belt pulley. My main question is how do i tell for sure when the number one cylinder is at top dead center. any help will be greatly appreciated. i have almost lost it over this stuff.. thanks,merc 800

Laddies

Banned

You have the right idea with a screwdriver or dial indicator

mertthedog

Cadet

I checked out the link to the pics from Tim Mathis. They were great. I see how the top nut just screws off (I was trying to pull it). I have found the greatest boating site and people on the web. Thank you all. I'll be fishing tonight after my repair.

mertthedog

Cadet

I replaced the throttle assembly on the distributor (black plastic ring). The motor started for a minute then died. When I tried to restart it turned hard, 1/4 turn or less like the motor was seized. Any ideas on what happened? 1972 merc 115hp inline 6.

timmathis

Lieutenant

First pull your plugs and turn the flywheel by hand. see what happens.

Laddies

Banned

Drop the lower unit to see if the engine or unit has seized