Old Mercury 9.8 year? gas/oil ratio? spark plugs? Can someone help?

CanadianGirl2

Recruit
Hey everyone!<br />My neighbour bought an old boat and has given his old one to me to tinker with (he says it hasn't been running in over 10 years!).<br /><br />It's a Merk 110 9.8 twin (1EKHAEFER?). He says it's a 1976, but something tells me it might be older. Also I found serial number 2095171 which when I looked around the site, I can't seem to decipher which year it could be.<br /><br />Also I need to need to know the gas to oil ration, 50:1, seems to be the concensous for old mercury engines on this site...<br /><br />And one more thing... Anyone know which type/model spark plugs I should put in (and if anyone knows how big of a gap these spark plugs should have)<br /><br />Cheers!! :)

Lasse Lehtonen

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Old Mercury 9.8 year? gas/oil ratio? spark plugs? Can someone help?

I think these motors are made since 1970s your motors can be 76 models but somebody on this side can say the exact year...oil to gas ratio is 50:1 as you said. Ill check those plugs tomorrow when I get to my boat (I have the same merc mod 9.8) and Ill keep you informed about the plugs.

Laddies

Banned

If it's a US built engine it's a 1966 50 to 1 mix and J6C plugs after 73 the Keikhaefer logo was not used

CanadianGirl2

Recruit

I'll use a 50:1 ratio...<br />If anyone knows any more info about the spark plugs that would be great...<br /><br />Cheers!

dsrchamp04

Petty Officer 3rd Class

j6c champion....your all set

KIGuy52

Petty Officer 1st Class

I believe my '69 9.8 Merc has gapless plugs.<br />I'll check that for sure tomorrow.

KIGuy52

Petty Officer 1st Class

oldmercs.com has some good information on your motor.

Jimj

Recruit

I have a 72 9.8 (110) and it uses L78V plugs.