2005 Mercury 115 4 Stroke EFI

DSavage

Recruit
Greetings All<br />Been a viewer of this forum for quite awhile. Used extensive info on motors to select an 05 Mercury 115 4 Stroke EFI for my 1700 Lund Fisherman. Recently retired and not all that interested in quick hole shots or fast speed...just some nice crusing and dependability.<br /><br />OK to the questions.<br /><br />Have 6 hours on Motor, following all break-in procedures. Two things occuring dealer is telling me is "normal"...just want to get others input.<br /> First - When in netural at idle, there is a notice whining sound that disappears when motor put into gear. Apparently has to do with clutching system. Normal for this model? Technical explination of what is happening?<br /> Second -when quickly throttling back from WOT there is a load click/grinding noise that appears to be coming from the lower unit...the noise occurs between 2000-1000 rpm. When throttleing back slowly, it does not occur. Normal for this model? Technical explination of what is happening?<br /><br />Previously owned 2 cycles from OMC but this was over 10 years ago and technology changes. Not saying dealer service is blowing smoke...just looking for some comfirmation...<br /><br />Keep up the great work with the forum...gold mine of information.<br /><br />Cheers

tmckin

Recruit
Re: 2005 Mercury 115 4 Stroke EFI

I have a 2004 225EFI Mercury Four Stroke the shining or sqealing sound is not normal. I called Mercury derict and they send down a new belt. I still have the problem they are now sending down new pulleys.<br /><br />If this fails they are sending a Mercury rep in.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Are you asking as a certified merc tech or as the owner of the motor?

DSavage

Recruit

I am the owner, sorry if that wasn't clear.<br />Just want to verify that whining in idle and what appears to be gear clatter during qucik deceleration is normal operation...<br /><br />Cheers

HSEMJ

Seaman Apprentice

In my experience those motors do have a different sound at idle. although I would call it a low pitch whine or maybe a whir. a Similar sound to a radial tire on asphalt. As for a cause of this noise I'm not sure. <br />The clicking sound when coming down from high speed quickly, could this be the prop shaft ratcheting on foward gear? This would happen because when you slow the motor down quickly, the boat is still traveling fast, the water being forced over the prop will cause the it to spin back wards, or ratchet over the back side of the gear dogs. Causing a loud and rapid click,click, click. Just an Idea

DSavage

Recruit

HSEMJ<br /><br />Thanks for the info...the explaination you give on the "clicking" and "Whir" (better explains the noise) is the same the dealer provided. Both are reasonable...just not what previous experience, although dated, would lead me to believe. <br />Still working on the "why" for the Whir and the longer term impact of the ratcheting over the the gear dogs.<br /><br />Thanks again for your ideas<br /><br />Cheers

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

dont decelerate rapidly. its hard on the clutch. its ratcheting. only cure is to not slow down so fast. on the whine, some belt noise is normal. plus you can usually hear the fuel pump and the injectors clicking. without hearing the noise its hard to say but some is normal.

whube

Recruit

Originally posted by DSavage:<br /> Greetings All<br />Been a viewer of this forum for quite awhile. Used extensive info on motors to select an 05 Mercury 115 4 Stroke EFI for my 1700 Lund Fisherman. Recently retired and not all that interested in quick hole shots or fast speed...just some nice crusing and dependability.<br /><br />OK to the questions.<br /><br />Have 6 hours on Motor, following all break-in procedures. Two things occuring dealer is telling me is "normal"...just want to get others input.<br /> First - When in netural at idle, there is a notice whining sound that disappears when motor put into gear. Apparently has to do with clutching system. Normal for this model? Technical explination of what is happening?<br /> Second -when quickly throttling back from WOT there is a load click/grinding noise that appears to be coming from the lower unit...the noise occurs between 2000-1000 rpm. When throttleing back slowly, it does not occur. Normal for this model? Technical explination of what is happening?<br /><br />Previously owned 2 cycles from OMC but this was over 10 years ago and technology changes. Not saying dealer service is blowing smoke...just looking for some comfirmation...<br /><br />Keep up the great work with the forum...gold mine of information.<br /><br />Cheers
I have this same Motor on my 18' Crestliner CMV1850; what prop do you have,? I love my boat so far but it will not even come close to developing the recommended RPM. Book says 5000 6000 RPM WOT and I am running about 4200 this is consistant, hot weather and back when weather was cooler, I don't want to damage my motor so I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow, but I would like to get a rough idea if they have the right prop on it.<br />My prop is a 21 pitch aluminu. Please share any info.<br />Thanks<br />John

davidra

Recruit

Wanted to revive this post, as I am experiencing exactly the same noise in neutral (but couldn't find this post before I made mine). Has anyone gotten any further information about whether or not this noise in neutral is clearly normal?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

come on folks its a machine.<br /> it makes noise<br /> start your car and listen and you will hear it when the hood is up. belts tend to make some noise while running arount the sheeves. injectors make a chattering sound while operating, some fuel pumps tend to whine louder than others,does not mean they are bad just some whine more. also there is a steady bushing in the midsection just above the water pump that has been known to make a bit of noise. happens sometimes but there is a cure. it will require removing the lower and inspecting the shaft for signs of wear. <br /> as for the ratcheting almost all big cases will ratchet if you slow down to fast. why you wish to slow down that way? do ya lock up the brakes when approaching a stop light? the backwash from a rapid slowdown can acually enter a cyl from the water pressure and hydroloc it. can happen on strndrive,inboard,outboards of both 2 and four stroke. <br /> my advice is a bit of common sense.<br /> ill never forget a problem I chased on a mako with twin 225's. the complaint was salt all over the motors, after several cleanings and testing sessions we could find no leaks. some weeks later I had to ride on the boat with the customer about another complaint. he saw a buddy and went from 4800 rpm and about 43 MPH to nothing in one fell swoop of the throttles. I watched in amazement as the first wave compleatly submerged the tops of the engine and the second came about half way up the cowl and the gear case ratched violently. but I found my water intrusion problem and tried to explain how to prevent it and that warrenty wont cover any damage caused by it. he still does not believe me.<br /> just cause the crank slowed does not mean the prop can stop. now it wants to turn backwards. in a very light hull with a large engine prop combo its been known to flip the occasional hull when a gearcase failure locks the propshaft.

davidra

Recruit

Clarification...my problem is not slowing down too fast. I know that is really hard on a motor. It's the whine/grind. I realize motors make all kinds of noises, but this is so loud in neutral that everyone that gets on the boat, most of whom are professional guides, comment on how loud it is. One of them owns the same motor and says his doesn't sound like that at all. I just traded in a Merc 60 4 stroke that never made a noise close to this. I think there probably isn't anything wrong with it, but I'd rather not take any chances, even with it under warranty, at having to replace the motor. If it's nothing, believe me, I'm fine with that.

shayward

Cadet

I have this same Motor on my 18' Crestliner CMV1850; what prop do you have,? I love my boat so far but it will not even come close to developing the recommended RPM. Book says 5000 6000 RPM WOT and I am running about 4200 this is consistant, hot weather and back when weather was cooler, I don't want to damage my motor so I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow, but I would like to get a rough idea if they have the right prop on it.<br />My prop is a 21 pitch aluminu. Please share any info.<br />Thanks<br />John

I'd be surprised if the boat could swing some 19 at full rpm never mind a 21. That said I'd try a three blade version. You want to be able to hit maximum rpm with a light load. When I worked at Honda (many years ago) tickling the rev limiter was the goal.